Chapter 4

Marina’s POV

“No, that looks like a death sentence!” I half-joked, half-seriously tried beg Lana not to drag me on to the rollercoaster. She made a pouty face, puffing her bottom lip out like a puppy.

Her eyes got big. “Oh, pretty, pretty pleeeease? It’ll be fun, I promise!” I nearly melted right then and there. She was adorable, I couldn’t resist wanting to give my whole world to her in a heart beat.

Rolling my eyes, I faked annoyance. “Ugh, fiiiiine. But if I die, it’s your fault.” I over-exaggerate. Her eyes light up and a grin crosses her face. She grabs my arm like an excited child, practically bouncing over to the line where people are waiting to get on to the ride. I can’t help but smile as the familiar butterflies flutter around my stomach.

“I’m gonna regret this..” I joke. She slaps my arm lightly, giggling along with me. “Awe, don’t be mean. You’ll love it.”

I give her an uneasy look before I glance over to the rollercoaster. “It’s really high up,” I whine. “You know I’m afraid of heights!”

She gave out an exasperated sigh. “You already agreed to ride it! No refunds!”

I groaned as we approached the ride attendant, reluctantly handing him my ticket. Lana drags me to one of the cars, sliding down into the seat. She smiles sweetly at me, patting the spot that’s next to her.

I make a face as I take my seat, putting on the safety belt before I did anything else. A bar was secured over my lap, and before I knew it we were set in motion, slowly creeping along up an incline before it drops and gives me a heart attack.

I look over at Lana, a childish smile is plastered on her face. I swallow hard and shut my eyes and grip the side of the railing. Lana must have noticed, because I felt her soft fingers interlace with mine, and I immediately felt calmer.

All at once, exhilaration and thrill thundered through my veins as we dropped ever so fast, Lana gripping my hand tighter as we bolted along.

A half-scared, half-invigorated scream erupted from my throat as we circled and went upside down for a split second, before flipping back around and coming to a complete stop.

I didn’t realize I was trembling until the bar was lifted from my lap and we stood up. I blew the hair from hour of my face and climbed off, still holding Lana’s hand.

A light laugh escapes my lips, she can obviously tell my voice is shaky because she gives me a slightly concerned look.

“Never. Again.” I say to break the silence. She giggles a bit and nods her head. “Fine, I won’t make you go again. I am well aware of how much you hate heights.”

I playfully slap her shoulder and feign anger. “Why did you make me go then?!”

She bursts into laughter, and it makes my heart warm. I feel a blush creep up onto my cheeks, but hopefully it’s not noticeable.

“Because it was funny watching you scream your ass off!” she snickers.

~

Lana and I sat at a bench near the end of the boardwalk, watching the lights from the park reflect off of the water below, illuminating everything around us. I kept catching myself glancing at her lips, as I wanted them to be against my own so badly. But the thought kept reeling me back;

I can’t kiss Lana because we aren’t in a relationship yet.

It was weird, knowing that you’re technically in the past, just reliving something that’s already happened.