Chapter 5

2 years , 6 months , 25 days earlier

By the time Auburn and Lilly got to the beach house , the boys were already there . 

Lilly was so nervous that she only stared into the seeming never-ending blueness in front of her . Its waves crashing onto the painfully white sands beneath her . The waving monotonous blue, the only thing that felt familiar other than Auburn's warm hand interlaced firmly with hers . 

    "Don't be nervous," Auburn whispered , her breath tingling the back of Lilly's neck . "It's not too late to change your mind." Auburn used this gentle, sweet tone that she would only ever use with Lilly , and her cat . 

      But Lilly shook her head . "I want to get this over with . " It was the summer after eleventh grade, and Lilly had decided it was time . 

        Auburn snorted a laugh . "Well, that's one way to think about it ." 

        They kept walking down toward the house , and Lilly could hear the others now --laughter, the clink of bottles , and music coming out of someone's phone . According to Auburn , these boys and her were out there almost every night during the summer . They all went to Philly High , which was the school Auburn would have gone to if she hadn't convinced her mom to tell the school district that they still lived in their old house even after they'd moved in with Auburn's stepbrother . 

           "Guys at Philly are generally hotter ," Auburn had told her once . "More skateboardery than soccer player , which is why it's better not to go to school with them . Then you don't have to see them in the morning and look at the oozy zits they popped when they got out of the shower , or smell their coffee farts , and have no choice but to find them disgusting forever . "

           And so when Lilly mentioned not wanting to start college still not having kissed anyone , Auburn made a joke about kissing her, then laughed and said , "Well , you'll just get it 'over with' with one of the Philly boys , then." Like it was no big deal and already settled . Auburn , of course , had kissed lots of people . Nine , at last count , according to her list .

            They made their way toward the tiny flickering camp fire and stopped . Auburn reached over one of the guy's shoulder and snatched the can of Cola from his hand . Then she backed up and sat delicately on a rock . Auburn stayed far from the fire . She always did . Fire was the only thing on Earth she was terrified of . 

         "Hey, A" the guy said without turning . He had longish floppy hair and a black-and-white T-shirt that hugged his body well . 

      "Hello, boys , " Auburn said . "This is Lil , " she turned to Lilly and handed her the can of Cola that she had snatched earlier .  "Lilly , I can't remember any of their names . That doesn't really matter though . "  Auburn grins at Lilly . She was doing her Auburn Thing , which guys always seemed to love . Lilly held her cold Cola tightly to keep her hands from shaking . She pretended to take a sip and then looked at them more closely . 

                There were four : one shirtless with defined muscles , two in black T-shirts who appeared tough and seemingly cool , and the one whose Cola she had . She watched as he raked his wavy hair away from his face . He had a tattoo on the back of his wrist where a watch would be , a figure eight maybe , but she couldn't say for sure . He caught her staring at him , and by the light of the fire , she thought she could see the tiniest hint of a smile . 

          "Tell us honestly , Lilly ," Shirtless said . "Is Auburn paying you to hangout with her ? "

          "No," Lilly replied . "I'm her imaginary friend ."