Chapter 3

"What the hell Mabyn! You told him that James was just coming onto you?" Luke shouted as soon as we walked into his apartment. The door slammed shut and a few things rattled inside.

"Well what else was I supposed to say? Luke, I owe James 600 fucking dollars and it's all due next month!" I yelled more frustrated at myself than him.

"All I'm saying is that kid feels pretty damn special because he "saved" a girl from an alley and then got her phone number," he criticized.

"And that's such a bad thing because?" I snapped back.

I was a little disappointed in Luke right now. He was my best friend. He was supposed to make funny jokes about all this and make me feel better.

"Well considering you and Michael broke up, oh I don't know maybe last week I thought you wouldn't be moving on already," he chided.

"Oh my fucking god Luke! Shut up, just fucking shut the hell up! Don't tell me what I'm doing cause I don't have a fucking clue! Listen I understand what happened last week. The hell, I'm not even close to being anywhere near over it. Ashton seemed like a nice guy-" I ranted until Luke interrupted me.

"Seemed like a nice guy that you could lead on. Don't do it. The poor guy thinks you like him. I can tell," Luke said.

"Who says I don't like him?" I retorted.

"Are you fucking serious?" he scoffed.

"Luke I don't like him like that. It'd be nice to have another friend, especially one that will actually care about you," I responded.

"Bull shit, you never give out your number the first time you meet someone. Somethings going on and it isn't fucking fair to Michael or anyone! Stop it. Your getting yourself into  trouble by talking to him. He doesn't know anything about you except that your a pretty, blonde, American girl who lives in New York City. He'll find out everything and you know it," he blared at me.

"Oh please get you head out of your ass and wake up Luke! You're being so ignorant. I'm not going to let this get any more personal with Ashton than it already is. So just fuck off about the whole thing," I boomed right back.

"Just leave!" Luke huffed and he pointed to the door.

I stared at him in disbelief but my feet carried me to the door before I could put up any more of a fight. I walked into the hallway and leaned against the wall. My legs gave out and I just lay on the ground until I heard my phone vibrate in my bag.

I reached over and unlocked it to find a new text message.

Hey

I quickly typed "hey" back on the screen.

My phone buzzed again, but when I looked on the screen it wasn't a text from Ashton. It was from Michael.

Can we please talk? I miss you.

Tomorrow. It's getting late. Need to go to bed.

I hadn't even noticed how late it was until I looked at my phone. It was nearly 3 o'clock in the morning. 

I walked up the two flights of stairs to my apartment floor. When I got to my place Michael was standing outside my door way.

"Can we please talk. Mabyn, sweetheart please listen to me," he pleaded. His eyes looked down on me but I couldn't get myself to look back.

"No. I told you it's late and I'm tired. We're done Michael. I'm done," I said as I pulled out my keys and unlocked my door.

I looked at Michael and my heart sank to the floor. His eyes were filled with tears that hadn't broke forth yet. His hand reached for my arm as he pleaded  one more time,"Please Mabyn. Please."