Chapter 7

RECAP (because it's been a while, sorry): 

Emma Rembrandt and Zach Taylor got married to be able to inherit their late fathers' biotech company. Emma and her mom, Susan, have been estranged since her father died nearly a year ago, but this arranged marriage was the tipping point in their failing relationship. Emma didn't think she could handle being CEO at 17, and with the not-so-pep talks from her mom and Zach, she decided it's best Zach do all the actual work, she only holds the title. Zach got her a new car for her birthday, and she's conflicted with her developing feelings for him. So much so, that on her birthday night, last night, she stopped a kiss from him. 

And... enjoy the chapter :)

_________________

Tell me, what other girl would stop a kiss from a handsome guy they like?

Maybe it's just me apparently. Or maybe it's only in the situation where said handsome guy is your business arrangement. 

I'm hiding out in my bedroom, well, his bedroom I guess. I don't exactly want to run into Zach right now and risk making things more awkward.  I try to think of something to do while he walks in to get his clothes to change, and that's when I realize I haven't checked my email to see if Lor even responded. Now that I think about it, she hasn't called or texted, nothing, not once. Maybe she never got the email...?

But there is one from her.

Emma,

How could you think that I wouldn't understand your situation! I thought we had the kind of friendship where we felt safe enough to tell each other anything. I guess I was wrong since you decided to keep this from me. You know, I didn't even find out you got married through your email. I found out through someone else reading a damn magazine with your name all over it, and I pretended like you already told me because you're my best friend.

Maybe we should just go our separate ways now. You have stuff to deal with and I just want to live a normal college life. I thought I could do that with you but now you have other priorities now. I honestly hope you are ok and that you can find someone else to talk to. Just, don't let him stop you from following through with your plans. Your goals.

-Lor

I don't understand. I can't believe my best friend just broke up with me. I should've faced reality. Who would want to be friends with a teenage CEO wife? Especially when it seems like Lor is having the time of her life in Seattle, being free of responsibilities except those she actually chose. I know I shouldn't victimize myself, at the end of the day I did choose to do this, but sometimes I wonder if I even made the right choice. The smart choice. And I don't just mean getting married this Summer. 

But how could she turn this whole situation around to victimize herself? She must not have really been my friend, I guess.

I am not going to reply. Zach startles me as he walks in with his rumpled pajamas, crookedly placed glasses and messy hair. It all looks good on him though. Why can guys pull off the messy look and when I do it I just look... well, messy.

And then I remember last night and I feel that much more terrible.

"Emma. I'm just going to get–– Hey, are you ok?" I blink. I wonder how he knows that something is wrong. Are my eyes watery? Should I tell him? I guess I should, except that I'm still totally embarrassed about last night. I sigh in defeat.

"I just got a message from my best friend basically telling me we can't be friends anymore. Apparently I'm too 'grown up' or 'selfish' or an 'attention seeker' or something and she can't even be bear to talk to me anymore." I don't know what kind of reaction I want, or expect, from him. I don't look at him though.