Chapter 24

I stood outside my dorm room, feeling the anxiousness rise in me as my mind played through all the scenarios in my head of how Sam would react to not getting the spot for the guest guitarist for Loric. The boys were all expertly hiding away from the school and the crowds since they knew the release of the news would be out later tonight.

After starring at the door for what felt like eternity, I made a beeline for the elevator, chickening out much like the boys and running away until the news was officially announced online. I knew I'd be a target since many people at school knew that I was very close with the Loric boys and trying to feign lack of knowledge would definitely not go over well, so I decided to go to the only place I knew no one would bother me – until I was ready to go and face Sam that is – the gazeebo.

I covertly made my way outside the school and to the park where the hidden gazeebo was. I travelled along the worn down path and started to hear faintly the familiar notes of a guitar being played. A smile lit up my face as I my mind came to the conclusion of the only person who knew about this place too.

I quickened my pace as I got closer to the clearing and saw Dani leaning over his guitar with much focus, playing out an unfamiliar but beautiful melody. "Hey there, stranger." I said, a silly grin on my face.

Dani whipped his head up, stopping playing as he did so with a surprised smile. "Ally! What're you doing here, I thought you had a doctor's appointment?"

"Oh... that, I finished up with it already and I felt like I needed some space." I said, telling the half lie to him. Internally I felt like smacking myself for having to lie to him. He was my best friend and it wasn't right for me to be lying this much to him. I looked at the guitar longingly and sighed.

He gave me a sympathetic smile as he glanced at my hand. "How is your hand by the way? Did the doctor say when you're able to play guitar again?"

"Yeah, he said I shouldn't play till next year," I smiled sadly, "just to make sure I'm not aggravating the injury any further, but he also said that I should also start to exercise my hand regularly so it won't strain as much when I do start to play again."

"Are you going to be able to play like you did before? You played so amazingly, it'd be a shame if you had to stop because of your injury." Dani said, looking upset.

I bit my lip to stop myself from telling him outright how bad it would mean if I couldn't play again and just nodded mutely, agreeing with him how much it would definitely suck if I couldn't play anymore.

"I'm sure you're gutted you couldn't play with Loric at the Christmas concert, I'm sure they asked you didn't they?" Dani asked.

The disappointment was clearly all over my face, as he gave me a comforting hug. "It sucks not being able to join in on the competition, I mean Loric is all about fairness, and them offering it to me, even though it'd be a favour wouldn't be fair to all the other participants that entered. So even though I can't play, I'm glad that something good came out of it." I replied, a bit of cheer returning to my face.

"I'm glad you're looking at this positively. Everyone has been excited about being guest guitarist." Dani said.

"Even you?" I asked, looking at his guitar pointedly.

He smiled embarrassedly. "Yes, even me. I won't lie and say I wouldn't be excited if I got chosen to play with them on stage. I've seen enough of their casual rehearsals, the ones even without Ally, that I know it'd be epic to perform with such talented people."

I felt the guilt start to creep back on me as I heard how hopeful Dani was for winning this chance to play with Loric. Dani seemed to sense my discomfort and looked guilty. "Sorry, I'm being insensitive right now aren't I? I'm guessing you're here because people at school are going to bug you about the competition results aren't they?"