Part 3

Out of flash back

_____________________

Octavia let the music of her cello consume her. She

swung her head with each pass of her bow on her cello strings, her black mane flowing as she moved her head. Her eyes were closed as her right hoof continued to guide the bow seamlessly through the strings.

"Octy?" Octavia didn't hear the voice that was calling out to her. She was in her own world, one she could escape to when everything else had fallen apart.

"Octy!" Octavia could hear a faint murmur but almost immediately passed it off as her imagination. She continued to let her bow dance on the cello.

"Octavia!" The gray pony finally snapped out of her trance. Her eyes flew open, scanning her surroundings. She had forgotten where she was. Throwing gazes around, she saw that she was sitting on a park bench. Hills, flowers and a pond not too far off jolted her memory. However, there was something that troubled her. The sun had been high up in the middle of the sky when she started her practice and now it had been replaced with a shining white ball among several shimmering stars.

"Oh my! What time is it?" Octavia asked in shock.

"It's 6pm, Octy. How long you've been here?" Vinyl questioned.

"I'm not sure. I first sat here while the sun was still out." Octavia explained, her mind still trying to comprehend how much time had passed compared to what seemed like minutes to her.

"Well whatever; that's not important. Come on! Let's go back to your place."

"My place? Why? Is there a problem?"

"What? No! Just go back to your place." Vinyl bit her lip, trying her best not to tell Octavia what was really happening.

"Very well." Octavia agreed, lifting her cello into its case. "I trust that this isn't some sort of prank? You had to have grown out of those childish plays." She said, causing Vinyl to let out a chuckle.

"Nah, no pranks at your place. I promise!"

"Very well." Octavia lifted her cello case and turned to her friend. "Let's get going."

As they began walking, Vinyl was the first to make sure the journey wouldn't be drenched in awkward silence.

"So, what made you come to Ponyville?"

"Didn't I tell you already, Vinyl? I just wanted a quieter lifestyle." Octavia responded as they turned a corner.

"I mean, that's it? It doesn't seem like you to just wanna come to this village and leave behind your dream job." Vinyl pointed out.

"And what would my dream job be?" Octavia interrogated with a serious tone.

"Huh? Octy I didn't mean it like that. I meant-" Vinyl stuttered, afraid she had just offended her friend but Octavia merely giggled softly to herself.

"You really haven't changed have you, Vinyl? Getting worked up over such minor trifles." The blue-maned mare punched Octavia's shoulder lightly upon hearing her words, a large smile on her face as they passed the Ponyville Library.

"I'm just shocked that you would abandon your career like that. Last I heard, you were the cellist for the Grand Galloping Gala!" Vinyl praised the grey mare, whose cheeks had started to blush a light red.

"I guess I just got tired of the constant barrage of events I had to play at. It was just too strenuous for me." Octavia explained as they passed by Carousel Boutique. "But enough of me. What have you been up to?"