Chapter VIII

Sorry I'm late again. I had theatre class today. Also, did anyone else notice Legolas has his own emoji? 🧝🏻‍♂️

You were in Elven boats rowing down the great river Anduin. You were in a boat with Legolas.
"I'll row." You said.
"No. I'll row." He countered.
"Legolas... I'm not weak." You said.
"I never said you were, but I'm still going to row." He said calmly. What was with Legolas and being so convincing? You thought.
"Fine..." he smiled.

Slowly the mallorns of Lothlorien faded into the distance, and thick green trees replaced them. You heard a rustling in the forest.
"What was that?" You whispered.
"I don't know, but the others didn't seem to hear it." Legolas answered. You decided to brush it off.

A flock of black birds flew above. You stared at them with concern.

"The Argonath," Aragorn said. "Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old... my kin." You looked around in awe.

When you reached the shore Legolas jumped out and helped you out. You felt your cheeks grow hot.

"We cross the lake at nightfall, hide the boats and continue on foot... we approach Mordor from the North." Aragorn announced.
"Oh, yes, just the simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil, an impassable labyrinth of razor sharp rocks. And then it gets even better... a festering stinking marshland, as far as the eye can see." Gimli said sarcastically. Pippin looked very scared.
"That is our road... I suggest you get some rest and recover your strength, Master dwarf." Aragorn said.
"Recover my..." Gimli started. Legolas turned to Aragorn.
"We should leave now." He said urgently.
"No. Orcs patrol the Eastern shore. We must wait for the cover of darkness." Aragorn said.
"It is not the Eastern shore that worries me," Legolas glanced around at the forest. "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near, I can feel it."

You saw Pippin's eyes dart around nervously and you could tell he was scared. You walked over to him.
"It'll be alright. Gimli is just exaggerating." You said trying to comfort him.
"I've never left The Shire a-and..." he stuttered. You wrapped your arms around him.
"It'll be fine." You whispered. Pippin nodded.

You looked up and saw Legolas staring at you, but it was different then his normal look. It was cold. You got up to talk to him.
"Legolas..." He turned around without a word, and cutting you off.

"Where's Frodo?" Merry asked. You turned around. Forgetting your frustration with Legolas.
"Boromir..." Aragorn whispered.

"Merry, Pippin. Go with Sam," Aragorn ordered. "(Y/n). Go that way with Legolas and Gimli. I will go East." You sighed. Did he have to put you with Legolas? You were still angry with him. Why was he giving you the cold shoulder?

You were walking into the forest in thick silence. Occasionally you would glare at Legolas.
"Would you stop glaring at me?" He growled.
"Oh, so now you're going to talk to me?" You hissed.
"That's what you're glaring at me for?" He yelled.
"You're the one who's giving me the cold shoulder!" You retorted.
"I'm sorry! Why don't you go running after Aragorn or Pippin?" He stopped and turned to you.
"You really think I like Aragorn or Pippin? I thought you were smart!" You said.
"Well- wait you don't?" He said.
"Aragorn is already with Arwen, who is a good friend of mine, and don't tell Pippin I said this, but he is slightly stupid." You responded.
"Oh... well... I'm sorry then." He said blushing slightly. You smiled and forgave him.
"Well.... this is awkward..." Gimli said. You had completely forgotten Gimli existed.

You heard Aragorn's battle cry a little while off from where you were standing. You glanced at Legolas and ran towards the sound.

You pushed through trees and bushes until you saw him fighting off around 200 orcs. You pulled out your daggers and joined the fight.

You had killed around 20 orcs when you heard a horn sound in the distance.
"The horn of Gondor!" Legolas yelled.
"Boromir!" Aragorn cried.

You ran towards the sound killing orcs on the way. You stopped when you saw many bodies lying on the forest floor. One of them was Boromir's. Aragorn was sitting in front of him. You ran over, Legolas close behind you.

"They took the little ones." Boromir said. Aragorn tried to stop the bleeding.
"Frodo... where is Frodo?" Boromir asked.
"I let Frodo go." Aragorn whispered.
"Then you did what I could not. I tried to take the ring from him." Boromir said.
"The ring is beyond our reach now."
"Forgive me, I did not see... I've failed you all." Boromir apologized.
"No, Boromir. You fought bravely. You have kept your honour." Aragon said.
"Leave it! It is over... the world of Men will fall and all will come to darkness and my city to ruin... Aragorn..." Boromir despaired.
"I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you... I will not let the White City fall, nor your people fall..." Aragorn promised.
"Our people... our people." Aragorn placed Boromir's sword in his hand. Boromir tightened the grip on the hilt.
"I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my King."

Boromir's eyes glazed over and he went limp. He was dead. You felt tears falling down your cheeks.
"Be at peace, son of Gondor."

You buried your head in Legolas's shoulder. He wrapped his strong arms around you and started whispering comforting words to you.
"They will look for his coming from the white tower... but he will not return." Aragon whispered.

You watched the boat with Boromir's body fall down the falls of Rauros. You felt more tears fall down your cheeks. Legolas put his hand on your shoulder.

Legolas pushed a boat halfway into the lake.
"If we are quick, we will catch Frodo and Sam before nightfall." Aragorn merely watched Frodo and Sam's figures disappear.
"You mean not to follow them..." Legolas said.
"Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands." Aragon said.
"Then it has all been in vain... the fellowship has failed." Gimli remarked.
"Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment of death, not while we have strength left," Aragorn said. He pulled a hunting knife out of pack and strapped it on. "Leave all that can be spared behind... we travel light. Let's hunt some orc."
"Yes! Ha!" Gimli said excitedly. You smiled at Legolas and he smiled back.

You ran into the woods following the Uruk-Hai's trail.