Colorado Gifts

En başından başla

"Armani. Shoot, never thought I'd own anything by Armani." George muttered.

"Dad, do you even know what Armani is?" Jules asked. Chelsea shoved her sister. Chris' cheeks began to ache, he could not stop smiling. "Geez, you know he doesn't," Jules said before she began to pull the wrapping off her box. Chris had decided to go bigger for Chelsea and her sister. Every other woman had received a Chanel scarf, different colors and patterns. Jules and Chelsea were getting bags. Chelsea hadn't even moved toward any of her packages. She watched, completely engaged, as her sister opened her gift.

"You haven't opened anything," Chris whispered.

"I told you, I like watching," she replied, not breaking her gaze from Jules. Chris looked over at just the right moment and saw that Jules looked briefly disappointed.

"Have you heard of her?" Chris asked, attempting to salvage his gift. Clearly she wanted Chanel too, but the Celine bag in that box was worth ten times what the scarves were.

"Like Dion? The singer?" Jules asked and Chris shook his head as she lifted the lid. "Ooooh, this is pretty." It was a boxy handbag, clearly real leather in a deep red orange. It had a long strap and a large gold clasp. "I like it," she stood, let the strap cross her body and struck a pose. "I feel fancy." The family groaned and this just encouraged the youngest Carter girl. She sashayed through the piles of paper like it was a runway.

"This is all your fault," Chelsea pointed at her sister, "You caused that."

Chris laughed, "Open yours."

Chelsea paused. Because she had watched the boxes being wrapped, she knew her gift was a purse as well. There had been two Celine boxes, one large and one small. She was going to get a larger, probably more lavish, bag. Chelsea liked bags. In fact, Chelsea enjoyed all girlish accessories. It just didn't seem that personal. It seemed like something a stylist at Nordstrom would pick out when a man asked for help. Paul had done that with Michael Kors and Coach bags a few times.

"I want to see what's in Chelsea's," Susie said, with a little sauce on each word. Chris looked at her, but the woman avoided his fixed stare now.

Chelsea pulled at the bow, tugged at the tape and slowly opened the box. Just as she suspected, it was a very large tote bag in an understated camel color. It was obviously designer with the intricate metals on the zipper and the fine leather. Chelsea ran her hand across it and tried to play up her excitement. "Wow, Chris. This is really nice."

"You like it?" he asked, hopeful. He'd seen the old totebag she brought from the airport. It was a similar color and style, an old Michael Kors bag from several seasons ago. The corners were worn and the leather dirty. He'd sent a picture to his assistant instructing her to find something similar but better. "I thought it was like the other one you traveled with. But it's better. It will last longer," Chris began to explain the type of leather, the way it was put together. Chelsea was impressed, there was a little thought that went into it. And his knowledge of the fabric and the fashion were surprising. "What?"

"You just went off how on the purse was made," she stared up at him. Chelsea should've known he'd know about fashion, given his career, but it still shocked her a bit.

Chris just smirked and pressed his lips against her forehead, "I guess I just want to know I'm getting my money's worth."

Tightly, Chelsea closed her eyes, "I don't even want to know."

Chris laughed into her temple. "It doesn't matter, it's just money." He lightly kissed her.

"To you," she whispered. "Aunt Jeannie lost her job last year and hasn't had steady work since. Uncle Chris has major medical problems. I don't think they pay the bills as fast as they appear in the mailbox." Chris listened as she explained the different financial problems each member had. But from the outside, watching their happiness, you'd never know it. "We don't need expensive things," she slid her hand into his. For a few moments they just sat there, hand in hand, watching the rest of her family unwrap. "The gift I got you is cheap. Like really cheap." she whispered.