Goodbye, Pike

"She bought you pizza? You lucky bastard!" Kelly exclaimed from the other side of the phone and Christen just smirked. The rest of her day had gone by extremely smooth and she was now sitting on her bed, painting her toenails and explaining to Kelly what happened.

"So we're eating pizza, right? But she took off her jacket before we started eating and her arms are actually hot. I didn't even know that was possible, but they were," Christen was rambling, "And she's drinking beer and I had white wine-"

"With pizza?"

"I know! Well, I don't know. It was all so surreal. I couldn't even focus on half of the things going on. But I kind of flirted with her?"

"Christen!" Kelly cheered.

"No! It wasn't good because she picked up on it well and flirted back and that mother fucker winked at me!" She was barely painting her nails anymore because she was so wrapped up in the story.

"Aye, mami! Yes!" Her friend laughed.

"I don't know what got into me. Usually I'm not like that, you know? Like I kind of make other people come to me but she was just there and she was so attractive and-"

"Christen, I know you're not gonna be happy with me for saying this but it could have just been a one time thing."

"We played foosball."

Kelly began laughing so hard she couldn't breathe. "Right! I'm sorry. So I'll be your maid of honor at the reception tomorrow."

Christen snorted and she wished the woman was near her so she could punch her for being such a pain. "I don't know Kel," Christen sighed after the laughter had died down. "It's bad that since I left I can't really stop thinking about it."

"Although I know you, and I know this isn't what's happening in your head, I think you should pretend to chalk it up to you being excited to meet the big boss and try and move on."

She knew Kelly was right. That was probably in her best interest.

"So Pike didn't say a word to you?" Her friend was quick to change the subject, which she was grateful for.

"Not really. He talked to me once, saying Tobin needed to see me and he had this shit eating grin on his face. I think he was hoping she would fire me."

"Wouldn't he be more happy to do it himself?" Kelly chuckled.

"I'm sure he would. But other than that I went about the work day like a normal person without mountains of paperwork to do," Christen shrugged. She finished painting her last toe and closed the lid before putting the bottle on the nightstand.

"Yeah, as normal as it could be. You ate pizza with the CEO," Kelly reminded her and Christen rolled her eyes. She was smiling, though.

Before she could say anything to that, she heard Kelly let out a happy squeal and begin laughing. "Christen, I have to go- Ah!" She giggled, "I'll see you tomorrow morning!"

"Alright. Bye Ke-" The call ended.

Christen sighed and turned on the television. There was nothing on. She went to the bathroom to wash her face and she tucked her hair into a bun before laying on top of her sheets.

She mentally cursed herself for not painting her nails earlier and settled for watching the boring shows until she fell asleep.

***

It had been six days since she had been to Tobin's office and she hadn't seen her since. That's not to say she hadn't looked, because she had. Any time she wasn't at her desk, she was searching for those brown eyes. She had no clue why she thought she would suddenly see her everywhere but she had hoped she would.