I can tell he's lost in the moment what with my words and our close proximity up until the very last word. His eyes narrow instinctively, and he moves away from my hand.

"You're not going anywhere," he declares.

"Yes, actually I am," I retort, "Esther revealed something to me that I don't think she intended to, but it's the key toward everything I've worked for. Niklaus, I have to go back to Detroit."

Klaus takes a few steps away from me and runs a hand through his hair. He's obviously frustrated, but he doesn't know the whole story.

"Come with me," I offer before I can think it through.

The only thing running through my head right now is how bad I want him to stay near me. I also want for him to know the truth and to trust me again, but that may take more time than what we have.

He seems to think about it for a second and it worries me that he wouldn't just jump at the opportunity. There's a lot going on here, but if I'm successful in Detroit, then we would all be much more powerful together.

"No," he decides, "Elijah will go with you."

"Excuse me? The offer was for you and you alone. You will not be sending your brother to babysit me."

He spreads his arms out into the air in defiance, "Would you rather I sent Rebekah to protect you? Or maybe Kol, even? If you are so determined to leave again while still linked to us, then you must not care for any of our lives!"

I huff, annoyed, "The first thing I will do when we get there is find a spell to unlink us. I promise."

Unlike the last few times I have made a guarantee, Klaus does not respond with a reason to not trust me. As much as I'd like to bask in the victory of progress, he's actually quite infuriating to be around right now.

"You..." I start, but I pause to fill in the gap between us and to calm my tone a bit, "You need to understand that there is not much time—Esther's next move could be to ruin everything for me. Please, I have to get there first."

There's a beat before he reacts to my words, by taking both of my hands into his. The gesture is subtle, but it's enough to prove that he has calmed down and is done fighting with me.

"Tell me the truth, love," he requests. "What are you doing that she is so afraid of?"

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath before answering.

"I have witches who are attempting to alter the spell she used on you and your siblings so that it can permanently bring supernaturals back to life," I explain slowly. "Niklaus... I'm trying to bring my daughter back."

Klaus drops my hands instantly at the news. My heartbeat thumps rhythmically in my ears as the silence of the night overwhelms me. I'm scared of his reaction more than I'm scared of anything else in the world.

After taking a few steps away from me, he noticeably tries to contain his rage at a safe distance. I'm familiar with this tactic, and I hope that this might mean he's trying to come to terms with it.

"I don't understand," he snaps. "You died and the baby died. Both heartbeats stopped after Mikael killed you."

I nod, "I have no explanation for it either. When I woke up, she was still there. My magic protected her even after I had died."

His face contorts at the possibility and I know that he's still very upset despite the news. I suddenly wish Elijah was here to explain everything to him because Klaus would never believe me without some sort of witness.

"I will go with you for your protection," He states, finally, "and to catch my mother before she can do any more harm to you."

His words are so careful and particular, it makes my heart ache. I don't want to force a relationship with Adalynn on him in any sense, but I know that if he just got to know her...