Ch. 1

Blake's P.O.V

Finally.

The last year.

The last year I will be stuck in this foster home, then I am free. I have waited so long for this year to arrive. It is also the beginning of senior year and I couldn't be more excited. I actually enjoy school. I want to make a difference in my life after my past....

Stop it! Don't think about it.

My life growing up sucked, but I am more focused on forgetting about it. I need to get ready for school. I get out of bed and head for the closet. I pick out a navy blue t-shirt and some washed out jeans. I grab my backpack and head for the door when it suddenly slams open against the wall. My best friend Josh comes in with a stupid grin on his face.

"Blaaaakkke! Are you ready, buddy?" he asks me.

"No, I was just standing here with my backpack in my hands at 6:30 in the morning because I felt like it." He hints my sarcasm and gives me an eye roll, like he always does.

"Come on. Let's get something to eat," I say to him.

"Sorry bro, but I already ate breakfast."

He looks a bit guilty but then simply replies, "You were taking forever and you know me, I love food."

I just shake my head and smile back. That was my best friend everyone, Josh Willington. Now don't get confused with his name. It may sound classy and what not, but he is the total opposite. He was pretty much a slob, always eating and cracking jokes, but he was my friend. He was a couple months older than me so he would be leaving the foster house before me but nothing could break our friendship. We have seen each other at our lowest and nothing could break that bond. He arrived at the foster home when I was 12. Both of his parents died in a car accident. He was severely injured with a broken arm, bruised ribs, a concussion, and some cuts here and there. He came into the house looking lost. As if he wasn't in the reality of life, but more like a nightmare. After that, we hung out and became the best of friends. I don't think I could have made it through the rest of my childhood without him, and I think I could say the same about him. We had both been through a lot but in the end we helped rebuild each other up after being shattered into a million pieces.

"Hello?" Josh snaps his fingers in my face.

"Earth to Blake?..." He looked at me with concern. I blushed from embarassment. I quickly replies so he wouldn't worry.

"Ya, I'm here. I was just thinking about what I wanted to eat." I lied.

"Are you sure? Is something wrong? If you are mad because I ate your food, I am sorry. I didn't mean to, I was just hungry."

I glared at him with a smirk and said, "You never said you ate my food."

Josh ran out of my room as if his life depended on it. He yelled back as he sprinted down the stairs, "Meet you in the car."

I just simply laughed. I headed down the stairs when something tugged at my shirt back. I turn to face the eyes of a little girl. Her name was Cassie Night. She was one of the foster kids in the house but I actually liked her. She was sweet and very shy. She liked to hang out with me and Josh so she could act older. She was only 6 years old, though.

"You forgot something," she said to me while handing me my book that I read over the summer for school.

"You left your book in my room from when you were reading to me."

"Thanks Cassie, see you later. Have fun in school!" She turns around and skips to her room.

I make my way all the way down the stairs and open the front door. My stomach rumbles but I don't really pay attention to it. I will just buy something from the vending machine.