vii. Babe With the Power

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

SEVEN BABE WITH THE POWER

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       "VOODOO," SAYS HOLLY, waiting for the passage to emerge out of the castle bricks. Part of her is glad that she's only just gotten here, because if she was a first-year, descending those stairs into a dark passageway, she'd end up bursting into tears out of fright. It is a little frightening. But she's walked plenty dark hallways at night-time to ignore the possibility of looking in a mirror and seeing Bloody Mary.

       That, and she's cursed with Susannah. All thanks to a muggle trend — changing ashes into diamonds. Susannah's mother apparently wore the necklace every single day, until she didn't any more, and it became lost, and it was found, and it was sold in a nice jewellery shop near her grandparents' house, where her dad thought, that would be a nice birthday present.

       Thanks, Dad. 

       Sometimes she remembers the amount of terror in her bones, when she woke up and saw Susannah dissolve into her vision, floating next to the window. Holly almost screamed. Almost. Again. She's a tough cookie.

       She's got to be a tough cookie, if she wants to win this. She knows that she isn't as knowledgeable as the older champions, and from what her friends have said, Harry's been in enough life-threatening situations to compensate for his lack of knowledge. He knows what to do, or else he wouldn't be breathing today. Holly, however... She can duel?

       Her doubts are pushed out of her thoughts the instant that the passage into her common room opens up. Holly's greeted with an uproar of cheers; the little first and second years are letting out whoops, green and silver confetti dancing in the air. The old gramophone next to the bulletin board bellows into life.

       Pansy and Tracey rush forwards, both putting an arm around her. The applause and cheering continues as Holly's brought further into the common room, the passage disappearing behind her. Her friends all stand around her, as if the amount of people interested in her requires almost every fourth year student to guard her. She isn't porcelain. Anyway.

       Draco asks, "How did you do it, then?"

       And Holly reaches a crossroads.

       She could say that she doesn't know. She could tell them the truth and say that she has no idea, she's a little bit concerned, if she's being truthful. She could pour her heart and soul out and fuss over why she's in the tournament.

       Or, she could bend the truth. It isn't lying. Lying would be to make up how she did it, how she put her name in. But if she were to bend the truth — if she were to say something vague, but not disclose whether or not it was her that put her name in — then she isn't lying. She's just changing things a little. Cast some details in the shadows, and put the light on specific things. Nothing wrong with that. It looks better this way.