chapter 6: The popsicles

It was Tuesday morning. I guess I finally fell asleep. I only had a few minutes to get ready, so I rushed to get dressed and get out the door. I was very tired from staying up most of the night. I had my math final that day. I guess I did ok. It was all a daze to me. I couldn't think straight, I was too tired. At break, Gretel came up with the brilliant idea of taking some popsicles from our teacher, Mr. O's fridge. It would be a dangerous operation; but it had to be done. I desperately needed some sugar to help keep me awake. I didn't want to be like the Korean foreign exchange students, who fell asleep every five minutes. Since the popsicles were bought by Carmen for the school to have on a field trip, we all had no problem with eating all the leftover ones. We decided that Carmen would distract the Mr. O, while the rest of us would grab all the popsicles.

Carmen went into Mr. O's room and asked him how his coffee was. He said," Oh, thank you for reminding me. I forgot to make myself my cup today. I've only had 2 this morning. I might fall asleep." We all watched as Mr. O left his room, and went down stairs to make his coffee. I looked at everyone and nodded. We all stormed the room and Drake went to open the fridge. As he was opening the door, the pin holding the fridge door fell out. The whole door fell off, and hit the floor with a loud bang. We all stood still in shock. Suddenly we all went into a panic. Some of us grabbed popsicles, and ran for our lives; while others tried to pick up the door and put it back on. The problem with that was that we couldn't find the pin. It was gone! Drake said," Jake! I have the door in place. Quick! Get the pin!" I hesitated for a moment then replied," Ya, about the pin ... I'm not sure where it is." "What do you mean you don't know where it is? You lost it!" "Hey!" I responded," Nobody said that it was my job to keep track of the pin. Now let's stop spreading the blame here, and try to get the door back on before Mr. O comes back." We all started searching for the pin; but no one could seem to find it. Then, we heard the worst sound that could possibly be heard at the time. The hallway door opened, and we heard the sound of Mr. O's dress shoes walking on the tile. He was about to come back into the classroom, when Gretel ran out of the room and stumbled into him. Mr. O lost his coffee in the process, and they both fell to the floor with a thud. She said," Oh! Mr. O! I'm so so sorry! I had no idea you where there!" Mr. O, being the very kind and compassionate person he was said," that's ok, at least none of us were hurt. I'm just glad my coffee cup wasn't damaged! I don't know what I would do without it." This bought us just enough time to fix the fridge. If we could find the missing pin. Still, nobody could find it!

Just then, I noticed that Jack had a sharpie marker that was just the same size as the pin that was missing. I quickly grabbed it, and shoved it into the door. Somehow it worked. We were all over joyed, and put as many popsicles into our pockets as we could. And it was just in time too. As the last popsicle went into a pocket, Mr. O came into the room. We all just looked at him, and walked out of the room nonchalantly. When we got outside, we all opened up our popsicles and tasted the sweetness of the popsicles and the victory we just won. "Do you guys think Mr. O will notice the marker in his fridge?" said Nichole. "let's hope not!" Drake replied. Jack, who had been in the bathroom the whole time came out and said," Hey! Which one of you thief's stole my sharpie?" "I don't know" Carmen responded," maybe you should check in Mr. O's fridge." We all started laughing, and Jack, who had accepted that he would never get his sharpie back, just walked over and sat down next to me.