I narrow my eyes, "Why was he angry, Klaus?"

"Why do you only call me by that name when you are upset with me?"

Our eyes meet and I suddenly know how close he's standing to me. I turn away from him and head towards the staircase that Elijah just wandered up. He follows, but at a greater distance this time.

"It's how I differentiate the Niklaus I once knew and the man you are now." I answer honestly, "I shouldn't pretend you haven't changed, just as I want you to do the same for me."

"Changed in a negative way."

It's not a question, and I really wish it was. I'm not sure why that would make a difference when I wouldn't want to lie to him about how I feel either way. Then again, I'm not really sure what I want from the man before me. Just love? Just closure? I'm lost on how to even begin to decide.

So, I don't say anything. He can read into my silence how he wants to, but I have other things to focus on like Alaric's ring and Elijah coming back. I just know that I care for him deeply, but I can't live the lie that he's not a murderous hybrid king now.

When I reach the room I was in before, Klaus leans against the doorframe while I dig through my suitcase. The sun is only just starting to come up now, which means there is no more time for me to get more sleep. That's alright though, the excitement of getting to see Elijah again will keep me awake for hours.

"I could use some privacy, please." I request of him, "Human and all that right now."

Klaus bobs his head and closes the door for me with him on the outside. He's been uncharacteristically quiet in the last few minutes and I fear that I've overdone it by not denying what he said.

In the bathroom connected to the bedroom, I change into a pair of black leggings and a nice floral blouse that I had forgotten about until I spotted it at the bottom of my bag. It's a bit wrinkled, but I really couldn't care less.

Brushing my teeth, weaving my hair into a French braid and touching up my makeup are all next on my to-do list. When I'm finished, I call to Klaus that I'm done, and the door swings open once more. He has showered and changed clothes in the time that it took me to get ready. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the sun is now fully raised and I wasn't exactly rushing.

"I like this century on you," he compliments, looking me up and down just as he did an hour or two ago.

I smile politely, "Thank you. I can say the same for you."

His hair was much longer when I knew him, but I adore the short cut he has now. The dark colors of his clothes have always been his preference and it's never bothered me before. With my dark hair, I have to be careful with wearing something I'd blend too well into, so one could say I'm a little jealous.

"Elijah's off to the barber." Klaus tells me when I follow him down the stairs, "Then, he'll give Damon a little push towards getting my last coffin back."

The trashed rooms are all cleaned up now and I wonder when that could have possibly happened. There are maids on the property, but I haven't seen anyone yet.

"You didn't get them all back? Who are you missing?"

I take a step into the room full of caskets and count each one. There are four, which is exactly how many siblings he has. I look at him in question.

"My mother." He reveals.

Klaus doesn't wait around for me to react. Instead, he awkwardly heads into the kitchen area that is just down the hallway. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say to him right now. His mother? I know that story quite well and having her body in this time doesn't make any sense.