Chapter 1 - Evil Dwarf

Hi Everyone.

This is a fan-fiction of the Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini. It is set approximately a thousand years after the events of the 4th book, Inheritance. Dwarves are now part of the Dragon Riders and the world is in turmoil after a new power attempts to steal the throne of Alagaesia. All creatures and places below to Christopher Paolini but I created most of the characters in this story. Please Fan/Vote/Comment. 

P.S. This is dedicated to VintageDiamond, who gave me the inspiration to write my very own Eragon Fan-Fiction. Check her out, she is a terrific writer! 

Amber scales flickered in the deep moonlight that enveloped the Hadarac Desert. Amelia sat atop her flying dragon, Skarn, as he tore through the air, struggling to outrace their pursuers. Amelia risked a glance behind her at the pursuing blood-red dragon, Sor’Kal, and his rider, Gorm.

   Gorm brandished his sword, flicking it through the air in the same motions that he intended to kill Amelia with.

   The Dauth Domia had been tracking Amelia for days. She had barely managed to escape their clutches just outside of Uru’Baen.

   Sor’Kal was gaining on her and Skarn. Skarn was but a year old, and Sor’Kal had lived for many centuries. Trying to flee was futile but Amelia and Skarn still had hope.

   Amelia saw a flash of bright light emanate from Sor’Kal. Sor’Kal seemed to have gained a new burst of extraordinary energy. He was gaining on Skarn a lot faster now.

   Skarn, I am going to cast a spell on you to make us partially invisible. On my signal, fly straight up into the sky, we may be able to lose them Amelia thought, communicating with Skarn through their bond that was created when Skarn first hatched.

   Awaiting your signal, little one Skarn replied.

   Amelia started to chant, drawing energy from the emerald that was embedded in the hilt of her sword.

   The spell for invisibility was very complex and took a long time to cast. Even with the energy stored in the emerald the spell would take a lot of her and Skarn’s life force to cast. It was a risk she was willing to take if it were to save her and Skarn.

   Sor’Kal flew ever closer and Gorm seemed to be very still, he had his eyes closed.

   Amelia felt a burning pain in her temple. She had been so busy trying to cast the spell that she had dropped the barriers around her mind; if she was not careful Gorm would overpower and kill her.

   Despite the burning pains, Amelia managed to cast the spell. The air around her and Skarn shimmered.

   Now, Skarn!

   Skarn veered up into a directly vertical course, straight into the clouds. Amelia held tightly onto the saddle. Her legs were strapped in but who was to say that they wouldn’t loosen and she would plummet to the sand dunes below.

   Amelia twister as far around as her leg straps allowed. Sor’Kal and Gorm were circling directly below them, wondering what had happened and where they had gone. The burning pain in her temple had gone; he knew her barriers would be up by now.

   Good work, Skarn. I think we may have lost them for now. What do you say to attacking the dwarf and his dragon whilst they are confused?
   I’m ready, little one.

   Now!

   Skarn dived, reaching terminal velocity in a matter of seconds. Amelia had her sword outstretched and it skimmed through Sor’Kal’s foreleg with ease.

   The dragon hissed with pain and Gorm roared as he witnessed the attack on his dragon.

   Skarn had veered up a mere ten metres from the ground and Amelia released the invisibility spell. Gorm roared with rage.

   “How dare you attack my dragon?” Gorm roared.

   “Who are you to decide who gets to attack whose dragon?” Amelia roared in reply “I am a true dragon rider. You are a pitiful excuse for a Dragon Rider!”

   “I only wish to turn Alagaësia into a place where Dragon Rider’s rule! Not those plain humans”

   “That is not how the land should run. It shall upset the balance of nature!”

   Amelia did not wait for a reply. She urged Skarn forward and he and Sor’Kal were locked, claw to claw, in a death grip. They writhed around in the air. Two masses of flickering amber and red, slithering through the air with anything but grace.

   The claws of both of the dragon’s sank into the opposite dragons’ soft underbellies. They both roared in pain whilst their respective Rider’s both struggled to stay in the saddle.

   Amelia and Gorm both chanted spells, trying to create more magical barriers to protect their dragons.

   Skarn saw an opening and his sharp fangs sank into Sor’Kal’s neck. Sor’Kal resisted, but Skarn’s jaw was locked closed. He kept his grip tight until Sor’Kal’s wings ceased beating. Skarn released his jaw and kicked away with his hind legs.

   Sor’Kal plummeted to the ground, Gorm still sitting upon his back.

   Amelia and Skarn watched them plummet towards the ground.

   Skarn, circle for a few minutes and grant me your eyesight so I can examine the scene.

   Of course, little one.

   Amelia’s eyesight turned amber and she could see every detail of the scene below. Sor’Kal was motionless; eyes still open in shock while Gorm, battered and bruised, cried on the chest of his beloved dragon.

   Skarn landed heavily fifty metres or so from the dead Sor’Kal. Amelia dismounted and tended to Skarn’s wounds.

   Gorm looked around at Amelia and Skarn.

   “I shall kill you!” he yelled “and your dragon!”

   Gorm ran faster than any dwarf should be able to. Within seconds his blade crashed into Amelia’s, which was ready in hand before he had moved the space between them.

   Sparks flew from each of their blades as they parried each other’s strikes. Gorm was initially on the offensive, throwing his whole body weight into his strikes. Lack of any technique in his swordplay allowed Amelia to gain the upper hand.

   Amelia had the point of her sword at Gorm’s heart as he kneeled on the sand.

   “Release your sword and you may live, dwarf.” Amelia said

   “Never!” Gorm shouted.

   “Then you die” she yelled as she thrust the blade forward, penetrating Gorm’s heart with the tip of her sword.