Chapter 2: Work

|Mya|

"Okay, daddy." I sighed. The nigga was lecturing me about August. Like damn nigga, I'm just going to the movies with Shelby, August ain't even gonna be there, 'cause he gotta work.

"I'm serious, Mya, if I find out that little boy was there, I'm beating your ass."

He treats me like a child. I'm 18 years old, a senior in high school, and about to leave for college, he can't do this to me anymore.

I tuned him out until Shelby got here, which took forever. I hopped into the car.

"So what movie, you wanna see?" She asked, never taking he eyes off the road.

"I wanna see a cartoon."

"Mya, shut the fuck up, 'cause we not seeing no damn childish shit."

"Fine," I pouted and crossed my arms, "I bet August would've took me to see a cartoon," I mumbled.

She glared at me then focused on the road, "Where is August?"

"Work."

"Where does he work? What person our age works at night?" She said as she drove into the parking lot.

"I don't know. I asked him, but he won't tell me."

~~~

I sat down in my seat, I don't even know what movie this is. I don't even care, the only thing on my mind is August's serect job. I turned the brightness down on my phone and started texting him.

Mya: Hey boo, I miss you! How's "work"? 

August: Hey. Miss you too, but you know I'm busy with work.

|August|

I know Mya's upset because I won't tell her where I work. I want to tell her, it's just that she's not ready for it just yet. I'm gonna tell her, but not now.

Mya: Hey boo, I miss you! How's "work"?

Even thought she donsn't know where I work, she still knows that I could get fired for texting while I'm here. And why the hell did she quote work. I just shrugged it off, maybe her phone autocorrected it, or something like that.

August: Hey. Miss you too, but you know I'm busy with work.

Mya: I know, August. Why won't you tell me where you work? And why do you always have to work late at night?

August: Baby, it's a night job. And I promise I will tell you when the time is right.

|Mya|

When the time is right. Why does the time have to be right to tell your girlfriend about your job. I know August doesn't have a job that a regular 18 year old would have. I can tell by his voice that his job is something that 18 year ols aren't supposed to be doing. He can lie to me about his job as much as he wants, but I'm going to find out about it regardless.

I locked my phone and put it back in my pocket, then continued to watch this boring ass movie that Shelby wanted to see.

~~~

When I got home, my daddy bombarded me with questions.

"Was that little there with you and Shelby?"

"Was Shelby even there with you and that little boy?"

"Mya, did you fuck that boy?"

"Are you pregnant? You betta not be pregnant?"

My daddy does the absolute most. I just ignored him and walked to my bedroom. I stripped out of my clothes, put on my pj's, and lied down in my soft bed. Before I knew it, I was out like a light.

~~~

Where does August work?

Will August ever tell Mya about his job?

Comment.

Vote.

Follow.

August and Mya in the multimedia >>>