There was already smoke curling from the roof-hole and as they landed, Hiccup was already leaping from the saddle and sprinting up the steps. And then he paused, his eyes wide and breathing hard as he looked at the knotted door...and then he banged his fist on the door. There was a long pause and then it opened-to reveal the unfriendly face of Ingvar Hofferson. Hiccup stared into his face.

"Is Astrid in? I need to see her," he said urgently as her father glared at the lean shape. He stood deliberately in the way, blocking the doorway.

"I think you've hurt her enough, boy," he growled. Breathing hard, Hiccup stared at him-and then he nodded.

"I've been hurt just as much, sir, but as my father is the cause, I will take the blame," he said tightly. "But Gods, I love her and I need to speak with her. I need...I need..."

"You need to leave her alone," Ingvar growled. "You've shamed her, you've given her a false promise and you have condemned her to carrying a child that you will repudiate..." Hiccup stared at him.

"I will never..." he began but the man shoved Hiccup back-to the growl of the Night Fury, sitting watchfully at his back.

"You will!" Ingvar sneered. "You'll be made to. And that will break her heart." Hiccup was shaking his head but Ingvar shoved him harder and he stumbled backwards. Toothless growled more loudly.

"At least check with her to see if she wants to speak with me," he said boldly, taking a pace closer to the door. "Ask her! But I don't think she'll be there. I think she's gone-and I am to blame. She gave in too easily." Ingvar glowered at the auburn-haired Viking and his fists creaked. "At least check! If she's there and tells me to go away, I'll go!" Ingmar gave a curt nod and then slammed the door int he younger man's face, his footsteps receding. Breathing hard, Hiccup stared over at hid dragon.

"Is she here, bud?" he asked and the dragon lifted his head and sniffed...then shook his head. His shoulders slumped but he waited impatiently. Finally, Ingvar opened the door.

"She says go away and never return," he growled but Hiccup stared challengingly into his face.

"She's gone," he said angrily. Ingvar balled his fists.

"You calling me a liar, you lecherous worm?' he snarled and Hiccup took a fearless pace forward.

"I know she's not here," he said sharply. "Toothless can tell. Has she taken anything?" The man glared at him, then curtly gestured past him to the stairs. Without a word, Hiccup flew up-and at the top he stared at Astrid's room, which he had seen a few times. Not that it needed much prior experience to realise she had run: her blankets and pillow were taken, as was everything in her chest and her saddlebags. He turned to her father. "She's gone," he said as Ingvar grabbed his arm.

"Are you happy now?" the man sneered and Hiccup shook his arm off.

"No," he said bitterly. "I'm never happy when I don't have her at my side. She's my best friend, my second-in-command and the woman I love with all my heart. I promised her that I would find some way to fix this-but she didn't believe me. She no longer trusts me, thanks to my Dad. And while I want to prove that I can do this, I can't manage it if she isn't here. And I will look after her and the baby..." Ingvar grew puce with anger and Hiccup backed up, feeling the man grab his shoulders and bodily carry him down to the door and throw him from the house. He hit the ground hard and rolled, scrambling back towards Toothless, who was rearing up, his eyes slitted and teeth bared.

"Stay away from here-and her, boy!" Ingvar sneered. "Hide behind your Daddy and your dragon like the coward you are! You ruined my daughter, destroyed her life and broke her heart. If I catch you near her, I will kill you!" Breathing hard, Hiccup stared at him as he slammed the door and then he clambered to his feet, then turned to the agitated Night Fury, his hands raised appeasingly.