Chapter XI: Awkward but Refreshing

--Andrew-

I wake to the sound of my alarm, but feeling somewhat refreshed. Not feeling ill or sluggish, mopey or depressed. Actually willing to climb out of bed today. I sit up and stretch and don't even have to rub my eyes. I grab my crutches and limp to the bathroom. I hop in the shower for a quick 10 minutes and get ready in less than 30. I take a look at the clock and I'm early for my ride by 20 minutes. My mother walks in the living room and stops at the doorway, almost in shock as I wait and watch TV. Bag packed and set to go.

"You're.. ready?" She asked.

"Yeah. Why?" I ask, looking over to her with my head tilted slightly.

"It's just.. a surprise that you're actually up and about before school and not rushing around." She sits down on the other part of the couch.

"I just feel good today. I'm not tired or dreading school.. but I'm not really looking forward to it either.." I shrug with a blank stare.

"Well I see nothing wrong with it. Keep it up and you'll have a great school year~" She chuckles.

The room fills with silence, but she quickly breaks it.

"You and Axel talk?"

"Yeah.. kinda got some things out of our system. He's got a girlfriend and I'm just a friend. It is what it is I guess." I look at the TV and shrug again.

"That's too bad.. you guys would have been cute together.." She sighs.

"As much as I wanted it and hated not having him.. I have to move on sooner than later or else it will eat me alive. Someone's out there for me.. I have to go get them." I crack a smile.

Suddenly, a knock on the door draws both of our attention. My mother sits back and looks at me.

"That's probably Axel.. have a good day at school." She smiled.

"Thanks.. I think I will." I nod and stand up, crutching towards the door.

I open it and see Axel standing with his hands in his pockets.

"Hey!.. ready?" He smiles.

"Yep. Let's go." I smile and walk with him to his car, closing the door behind me.

"How're you feeling?" He looks over as we walk to the car.

"I'm alright.. better actually." I open the door and sit inside the passenger seat. Placing the crutches in the seats behind us.

"That's good.. I wanted you to meet my girlfriend, but she's sick I guess so maybe a couple days from now." He shrugged. I nodded.

"Yeah that's fine.."

We begin our drive to the school and let the music take over the noise for us. I look out of the window and begin to think to myself. Not in a bad way.

As I day dream, we pull into the school parking lot and Axel takes a breath before turning off the car.

"You alright?" I tilt my head.

"Yeah I guess.." he exhales and twitches his nose.

I stare at him and lower my ears down a little as I study his expression.

No he's not. But he's not trying to hide it neither.

"Axel.. it's about yesterday right?" I pry, he noticeably reacts, opening his mouth a little and and blinking twice as he tilts his head.

"I.. yeah. A little.. I really didn't mean to upset you yesterday." He said in an increasingly low tone.

I pause for a brief moment, collecting my thoughts.