Chapter 29

The brown-and-white tabby's ears perked up at the sound of a battle yowl coming from over the hill next to the RiverClan border. Heronstar must've waited until a RiverClan patrol came! Adderstorm decided to move slowly across the ground, not wanting to be seen by any cat, which would prove difficult on the moorland. 

Silveroak's group had disbanded once they had reached this hill. The mix of warriors and medicine cats running off toward the end of WindClan territory, while Silveroak remained focused on getting to the battle. The constant sinking feeling in his stomach told him it certainly wasn't to help heal the injured WindClan warriors.

Once he got to the top of the hill he pressed his belly against the ground, even more, lowering his head so that he could discreetly track the silver she-cat's movements. Of course, Silveroak's presence among WindClan warriors was nothing out of the ordinary. None of them needed assistance so they urged the medicine cat away from the battle. She obliged, moving behind Heronstar in a few swift bounds.

Adderstorm unsheathed his claws as Silveroak lowered herself to the ground, ready to pounce on her brother in an attack. He didn't waste any time leaping forward and ran towards the medicine cat at full speed to pin her to the grass.

As soon as his paws forcefully hit the she-cat's shoulders, a bright bolt of lightning struck the ground. It rattled and shook every cat to their core, causing a ringing noise in Adderstorm's ears. He hissed and drew his paws over his ears painfully, no other sounds seemed to exist until many moments later. 

A crackling of a fire and the smell of smoke were the first things he noticed, still laying on the dry grass with Silveroak by his side. The second thing he heard was the frantic sounds of his clanmates and the RiverClan cats. Thirdly, came the aggressive yowl from Silveroak, who scrambled to her paws and ripped her claws against Adderstorm's muzzle.

Adderstorm cried out in pain and jumped away, his eyesight had finally set back in too, and the sight before him, made his breathing nearly stop. Orange and yellow flames flickered around them, easily catching fire to the dry blades of grass. Heronstar and the others fled away from the flames to the safety of the winding river.

Blood trickled from the wound on Adderstorm's muzzle and dripped on the ground below. Silveroak's ice blue eyes were furious and psychotic, "You, you're the cat that started ruining it all with your questioning and your prophecy! You're no better than my brother!"

He was taken aback by Silveroak's anger but stood far away from the she-cat in hopes she wouldn't bother attacking him again. 

"I thought you would be perfect as my apprentice. The son of Hawkeyes. Your mother and I were best friends you know? You have her rage, her determination. But you lack her fearlessness...what a disappointment you turned out to be." Silveroak spat. The fire started towering even higher behind the she-cat.

Adderstorm growled out at the mention of his mother, "I never wanted to be like her, ever. Silveroak, I looked up to you. We all did. But I will not let you destroy the Clans. We may be ferocious to each other at times, but we all believe in loyalty." 

The heat from the flames was noticeable now, and smoke began filling the air, causing Adderstorm to wheeze when he was talking. Silveroak snarled with annoyance, lunging forward and shoving Adderstorm to the ground. That look in her eyes is the same as what my mother looked like before her death. Nothing but anger...

"Your mind is gone, Silveroak. I pity you, I really do. And I'm sorry...whoever hurt you, whatever hurt you. You didn't deserve it. You were an amazing medicine cat despite all the terrible things you've done." Adderstorm said calmly.