"I... I don't know what to say." Ahsoka almost wanted to start crying again. Sure, she'd always liked Padmé and enjoyed her warmth; could they really be a family though? What would her former master think when he found out? Would he feel angry? Betrayed? No, she decided, he'd be happy to see her with Padmé. Anakin always seemed to favor her and it was very clear that he trusted the Nubian with everything her had - despite it being very little. Besides, being Padmé's daughter would mean she still got to see him on occasion. Ever since she'd walked away from him at the temple, their bond through the force seemed to only strengthen. She could feel his pain and by the senator showing up, Ahsoka knew he'd felt her loneliness.

"I..." She finally found her voice, her eyes connecting with Padmé's. "I would be honored to be your daughter." Ahsoka grinned, feeling the woman embrace her joyfully. "Oh, Ahsoka... You've made me the happiest woman on Coruscant." Padmé began to feel giddy, pulling the teenager up to her feet. "Why don't we head over to the court district now and make it official? Then I can take you home... to our home."

"I would love that."

><

"Alright, Miss Tano, sign here... and initial there."

Both Padmé and Ahsoka sat at a desk in the adoption center, a caseworker walking them through all the documented requirements and such. Ahsoka began to grow more excited with every stroke of the pen; she was going to have a mother for the first time in her life... She could barely wait.

"Excellent, that's it for your signatures." The caseworker, a pink twi'lek woman named Nova Keanu, smiled at the teen. "Now, Senator Amidala, I need to go over the legal requirements of this adoption." She flicked the holo-book page over, using her pen as a guideline. "You'll be responsible for providing care for Ahsoka Tano. This includes, but isn't limited to; providing a healthy living environment, daily meals, clean and comfortable clothing, and so on. Initial here if you understand." She paused, allowing Padmé to sign. "In addition to the physical upkeep of caring for the child in question, you'll be required to take her for regular checkups for six weeks after the adoption and records of the visits will need to be sent to us. She'll also be interviewed by a transition counselor from our center once every two weeks for the next six weeks."

"Do I have to talk to a counselor?" Ahsoka chimed in, drawing both Nova and Padmé's attention to her. "It's part of the Coruscant Adoption Act. It's just a way for us to make sure you're doing well and you've made a good transition to your new home. I'm afraid it's required that we do this but don't worry, we only ask about ten questions and they go by fast." Padmé reached over and grabbed Ahsoka's hand reassuringly. "It'll be okay, I'll be right there with you." Nova cleared her throat, adjusting her position behind the desk. "Actually, the counselor will be in a solo session with Miss Ahsoka. In order to make sure her answers are only her own, you won't be allowed in the room whenever they have their sessions. We've had past adoptive parents in the sessions who've caused problems so now, everyone is kept out of them... Shall we continue?"

Both women nodded silently, waiting for the caseworker to continue. "Alright, so... We just need to sign off on the last page." Nova looked up at them, her painted-on brows raised in question. "Who'll be signing off as the father?" Padmé looked over at Ahsoka in confusion. "It's just myself that's adopting Ahsoka." The caseworker frowned sympathetically. "I'm sorry, Senator, but we require two primary caretakers to sign the adoption form. It's to ensure that the child will always have at least one person to take care of them if something happens to the other. It's all about the Adoption Act..."

"Now hold on a minute." Padmé cut her off, her irritation hidden well behind her soft tongue. "I'm sure you're more than well aware of who I am." She began, beginning to calming stare down the twi'lek. "I have more than enough wealth to support Ahsoka ten fold over. I have the resources to provide the adequate care for her as well as a constant security team monitoring my home. I'm one of the most-"

"Ma'am, I know very well who you are." Nova interrupted, slightly aggressive with her abrupt statement. "No matter if you're a smuggler or the Chancellor himself, you're not above the law. A father is required to sign off on every document as well as a mother. Despite your powerful position, I'm afraid the same goes for you..." She trailed off, seeing her wall clock chime as the office's hours ended. "Unless you come back in the morning with a father willing to adopt Miss Tano, I'm afraid I'll have to terminate the adoption request and put her in an orphanage." Under her desk, Nova hit a button under the top drawer. "Very well, I understand that I must adhere to the law as does everyone else and I apologize for my thinking otherwise. We'll be back in the morning..." Padmé stood, putting an arm around Ahsoka's shoulders.

"Actually, she'll be staying with us for the night. You're not her legal guardian and in the eyes of the law, she's an orphan from the streets." As the caseworker stood up, two security guards entered the room and approached the Togrutan. "She'll be resting comfortably with us for the night. I bid you a good evening, senator." Nova sounded a little smug but Padmé ignored her, bringing Ahsoka into a tight embrace. "I'll be back in the morning to come get you... I promise to take you home tomorrow."

Ahsoka bit her tongue to keep herself from crying, devastated to be left with strangers rather than going home. "Goodnight, Padmé." The Naboo smiled softly, pressing her lips to the top of her forehead. "Goodnight, Soka." With a heavy heart, Padmé left the office - and her daughter - behind.