The soldiers get to work. Using the supplies provided by other countries, they plant a fence around the area. Razor wire. Not too tall, but tall enough. This way we have a massive circle to work on at once.

Next is the ash. We have three bulldozers, thanks to China. Those who can't operate them, like Luke and myself, are stuck with the shoveling pans. It takes the longest by far, but we manage to clear the ground before sunset.

Now, tents. The first day is done. I'm more than happy to gulp down three bottles of water, shoveling the foil bags of food into my mouth. Tomorrow we clear a large area for crops and examine the buildings for safety.

We've got a couple of fires set up, which I don't understand, because it feels like a furnace out here already. My hair is frizzy and all over the place in its ponytail, my face dirty and covered in sweat. I need a shower. Badly. But we only have three in the hovercraft, and they've rarely been empty since we finished.

A sigh leaves my lips as I lower myself down onto the cot I dragged out of my tent, stretching out like a cat. The stars are little twinkling lights above me. Of course, I only get a few moments to myself before footsteps approach.

"Alex, you shouldn't sleep outside. There's no telling what's in this air." My father says, crouching down next to me. I flip on my side to face him.

"Even the apocalypse won't keep you from jabbering me." I chuckle, taking his hand. The fact that he is still alive and well is one of the few things keeping me sane at the moment.

"I'm your father. It's all I'm good at." His hand is calloused and rough, the sleeve of his camo uniform virtually the same. It's familiar. Comforting.

"I heard the others talking about making a memorial." I say, swallowing.

My dad sighs. "Yes. Roses. One for each family member our survivors have lost, and then a whole field of them for the rest. It's all we can do."

"Mom would love it." I whisper, and let the tears well in my eyes. I've learned that keeping it down doesn't help. "The munchkins, too."

My father nods, and a single tear rolls down his cheek. His eyes are sad. "They would."

I bring the back of his hand up to my mouth, pressing a kiss to the rough skin. "I love you, Dad."

He smiles warmly, and the light is flickering on in his eyes again. "I love you too, sweetheart. Goodnight." 

More footsteps sound from a few yards away, and my dad gives my hand a squeeze before standing. Luke appears, carrying what looks like a crumbled yellow flower in his hands. My dad gives him a slap on the back, winking, before heading off.

He crouched down too, close enough to lean in for a kiss. He's just as filthy as I am, and I can taste the salt of sweat on his lips. He holds up the flower, and I realize it's a Daffodil.

"Found this on the edge of the fence. Poking it's little petals out of the rubble." He whispers, and I run my fingers over the soft folds. It looks a little disheveled, but other than that the flower itself is very much alive. "Thought you would like it."

I smile. "It's beautiful."

Luke slides a piece of my hair back, carefully placing the Daffodil behind my ear. His eyes are warm. "Not as much as you."