CHAPTER 5

~ CHAPTER 5 ~

***flashback 6 years ago***

I sat on my board as I let the waves rock me back and fourth. Today is the last day that I'm going to see Kyle. Later tonight, him and his family will leave for France. And so, before they host a farewell dinner without us, we the kids have decided to take the time and spend it together secretly. We chose to catch some waves and just have a good time. 

I saw Kyle and Eric paddling towards us from the corner of my eyes. 

"One last wave?" Kyle said.

I looked back to Nicole and saw her smiling as she nod. I smirked and called Lily. She paddled towards us. "What's up?" she asks.

"One last wave?" Kyle repeated. 

"Together?" I said looking at him. 

He smiled back, "Yeah, together." 

We've been waiting for a little while before spotting a huge wave. We all puddled towards it and surfed the wave together. "Wooooooo!" Eric shouted and I looked at him with a smile. He may be my twin, but he doesn't look exactly like me. Either way, he's my everything. "I could live in these waves forever!" he shouted and I giggled. 

"I'll make sure to visit you often then!" I joked and he chuckled. "I'll be expecting you then!" 

I stood on my board for more seconds before I dived into the water. I surfaced and is greeted by Kyle. "That was so much fun!" he said. 

"Yeah it was!" 

They all started to paddle back to the shore but I decided to stay behind for a while and watch the sunset. I breathe in the fresh air. 

"You coming?" I heard Kyle from behind.

I looked back and shook my head. "You go first, I'll just stay here for a while!" I said before turning my gaze back to the sunset. It is beautiful.

"Hey, you okay?" 

I looked back and saw him paddling towards me then he sat on his board when he stopped beside me. I smiled at him and looked back to the sun. "Yeah, I was just...taking it all in."

"It's pretty isn't it?"

"Yeah it is."

I let the silence caught up between us as we just sat there floating with the waves and watching as the sun finally disappeared  on the horizon. I took a deep breath then I looked at him. "What will happen?" I asked out of a sudden. The situation about him moving across the world just downed on me and I couldn't breathe.

"Hm?"

"You'll be living across the world starting tonight. You'll be a thousand miles away. We won't see each other for a very long time. Maybe years."

He looked at me sideways. "Are you worried?"

I nodded. "Not about you being away from me but I'm worried that, you won't remember me."

"And why would that happen?"

I chuckled. "You always used to prank me by hitting your head hard on something then you'll faint, then when you wake up you didn't know who I am. Every time you do that, my heart sinks, you know?"

"That was three years ago Em." he laughed. "I'm not putting you through that again."

"You promise?"

"Yeah, I promise."

I smiled at him and he smiled back. I looked up to the night sky and I swear I could see the galaxy from here. My smile grew bigger when I saw the stars. "The sky looks like a giant jewelry box, isn't it?" I asked, but he did not answer. I looked at him to realize that he's already looking at me.

"Whenever you feel lonely, just look up to the night sky." He said. "And know that wherever we are, know that I will never forget you."

***end of flashback***

I grabbed my backpack from the floor as soon as our professor dismissed us. I quietly exit the classroom avoiding eye contact from Nicole or Kyle. Also avoiding to bump into Lily. 

I made my way across the campus and chose to waste my time at the buffet. I picked the one with European dishes. I entered the building and went straight to the Italian section. I grabbed a slice of pizza and coffee. 

"Thanks." I said to the cashier as I carried my tray across the restaurant. Walking down the isle of tables I saw Lily sitting on one alone. All the tables are occupied except for the one where my brother and his friends are sitting and having fun. I sigh and walked towards them.

"Uhhh...Luke?"

He looked up from his tray, surprised. "Oh Em!"

"Can I sit here with you guys?" I asked and he nodded. He moved further and gave a space for me to sit. "Guys, I want you to meet my baby sister. Emery."

I looked at them with a smile.

I was about to say something when I felt someone grabbed my arm and pulled me up with force. I looked up to see Lily. I stared at her coldly as I yanked my arm from her grip.

"Guys, thanks for the warm welcome but I think I have to take this meal out." I said as I grabbed my tray, flashed them a smile and walked towards the to-go area.

"I'm sorry, but can you wrap these up for me please?" 

The guy kindly nodded as he wrapped my meal in front of me. I grabbed it and walked out from the restaurant. I made my way towards the Commons. 

"Em!" I heard Lily called out from behind me. I widened my steps to get away from her. I looked around for a spot when I see Kyle and his friends up ahead. 

I sigh. So much for avoiding people. 

I walked passed them when I felt someone grabbed my arm and spun me around. "Em, stop ignoring me!" Lily lost it as she almost shouted. Loud enough for everyone to hear. 

"What Lily?!"

"Look, I ditched you two days ago." she started.

"I know what you did! What I don't know is why." I said, crossing my arms across my chest.

"It's a long story...."

"Well, I don't have time!" I snapped at her as I walked passed her just to walk towards Nicole and Mitch. 

Mitch looked at me and Lily then she realized what's happening. She snickered and whispered something to Nicole. Then they both laughed. I looked at them for a while, then to Lily, then to Kyle. I sigh and shook my head as I looked back at Nicole. "You people got to stop messing with my emotions." I muttered.

"Why? Little Emery can't handle anything without Eric?" Nicole said in a little annoying baby voice. 

Mitch chuckled. "She can't basically live a proper life since the day her twin left." 

No one actually knew what happened. Our lawyer was kind enough to keep what actually happened a secret. He made the school believe that my family just went on a world trip for about almost a year. Our lawyer was my dad's best friend and so to honor my dad he have decided to keep every single detail privately and secretly and I appreciate him for that. So Nicole, Kyle, Mitch or even Lily didn't knew what happened.

"Or her family left her." Nicole added and the both of them laughed.

I chose to ignore what they said and just stormed off.