A Cinderella Story...Sorta

Ella was so ready for this ball. She was going to find the prettiest dress she could find, for a reasonable price, and put her hair up in the most fashionable of fashions. It was going to be a night to remember. She ran down the old wooden stairs of the cottage. Her sister Anna met her at the bottom.

   "Ella! Oh Ella! Are you not excited? The ball is tonight! Mother is starting on our dresses. She 'borrowed' some fabric from her shop! Can you not believe it?"   

   "I AM excited! We're going to see the palace and the prince! This is so exciting!"   

   "Ella," her mother called from the other room. "Can you come here for a minute, dear?"  

   "Yes, mother."   Ella skipped into the kitchen. Her mother sat on a stool tenderly sewing pieces of red and gold fabric.   

   "Oh mother! It's beautiful! Is that Anna's or mine?"  

   "These colors suit Anna better. Now for you..." 

   Mother looked Ella over carefully. The woman was very skilled at choosing the correct colors for each customer. "I think purple and silver would work beautifully. Fortunately, I have some beautiful purple fabric at the shop. I was supposed to be saving it for an important client, but you, my daughters, are the most important clients I will ever have."

 ————————————————

   Anna emerged from her bedroom in her ball gown, fully ready for the party. Her red hair was pulled up into a braided bun. Their family was too poor to afford any make up, but the mother always assured her daughters that they didn't need any. Anna's red and gold gown hung beautifully around her. The 3/4 length sleeves were rimmed with thick golden thread. The same thread laced down the bodice. The family could not afford many petticoats so the dress was straight and sleek.    

   "Oh Anna! You look beautiful! The prince will stare at you the whole time!" Ella gazed at her elegant sister.   

   "Thank you, but you know I'm not going because of the prince. I already have Joshua. I'm just going to keep YOU company. So go get ready!"   

   Ella smiled and ran upstairs. She stared at the beautiful purple and silver dress laid out on her bed. Giggling, she gently picked it up and put it on. She twirled around in the dress. Her auburn hair swirled around her shoulders. The silver sleeves hugged her arms and the purple bodice and skirt outlined her figure beautifully. There was a thin silver covering over the skirt that made the dress shimmer.   

   "Thank you, mother," she whispered and exited her room.

——————————————

   The sisters rose up on their horses. Sure, it was an unconventional way to get to a ball, but what was the monarchy expecting when they sent an invitation to peasants.

   They gave the horses to the stable boys waiting at the bottom of the marble stairs. Holding their invitations, they nervously walked up the grand staircase up to the open doors of the castle. The ladies gave their invitations to the herald at the top. The man turned to the open ballroom and announced their names.   

   "Miss Ella and Miss Anna Fairview!"   

   The ballroom was golden from top to bottom.   

   "Do you see this Anna?" Ella asked walking down the golden marble stairway.    

   "I see it, but I don't know if I believe it," Anna whispered back. Big bouquets of white roses were scattered throughout the room. Every different color the girls could imagine were seen on the ladies dresses. The men were all in fine suits.