The Souls of China's Wall

Every new moon, when the stars shine their brightest, the Great Wall of China takes its slumber. Its stone pillars rest from the hard touristing days.

  Now at this time, a struggle ensues within the wall. Something is trying to get out.

In 220 BC, Emperor Qin Shi Huang ordered the building of a northern wall to protect the new area of China. It took one million workers and as much as 300,000 of them died. Whenever a worker died, they would be put right into the wall. Now there are many bodies within the Great Wall of China.

The souls of these laborers push against the wall while the structure sleeps. After many tries, they manage to escape. The souls float out of the wall and dance around the rocky terrain. Once out of their prison, the souls glide to the nearest city. No one can see them of course and for the rest of the night, they live the lives that were taken away from them.

Some tend the farmland around the town. Others celebrate the festivals in which they have missed. Lots of them wander hopelessly;searching for their lost loves and if you listen well, you can hear their joyless calls.

But the most frightening are the ones who haunt family's related to the tyrant who inflicted death upon them. THey sneak into thier houses, mess with their belongings, and leave a month of bad luck in their place.

When the sun threatens to rise, the souls dance back to the grat wall where they creep back in, hoping not to disturb its slumber. And they wait for their next night of freedom.