Chapter 14: Escaping HQ

Marcy stood there, looking down at Favio's corpse. Spencer lifted his head and asked Marcy, “What did he say?”.

“I'm not sure... come on, we need get out of here before his guards come.” Spencer tried to get up but he collapsed. “It's not happening for me. I'm too exhausted. I'm barely staying awake.”

“Skylar, can you carry him?”

“Hmm, maybe.” She picked up his arms and put them around in front of her neck in a half piggyback ride. “Go. I think I have him.”

They walked as quickly as they could through the hallways, Skylar dragging him along the floor.

“What about Runt?” Spencer asked.

“Don't worry, he can take care of himself.”

Just at that moment, sounds of clanging metal resounded through an adjacent hallway, joined by the surprised yells of guards in the distance. Suddenly, the pair of double doors in front of them were blasted away, half off their hinges, with Runt standing in front of them, an angered and crazed look on his face.

“See?”, Skylar remarked. “Runt, we need to get out of here.” He picked up Spencer swiftly, as if he was as light as a softball. He then bounded down the hallway, Marcy and Skylar following close behind. They exited the building, but they were met by a wall of guards, with a man at the front. He was regularly clothed, with a brown leather jacket and blue jeans, and had short blond hair. He walked up to us and said, “Sorry, but it's not quite time for you to leave yet.” Tranquilizer darts hit Spencer and Runt, and they went limp. Marcy and Skylar were then seized and they were all taken back inside.

• • • • •

   Spencer woke up strapped down on a bed, an IV inserted in his arm. He looked to his side and saw the man from outside.

“Who are you?”

“My name's Dominic. How do you feel?

“A bit dizzy.”

“Ah, sorry. I hope you'll understand why I had to do what I did.”

“What do you mean?”

“You need some straightening out, my good sir. You've been acting badly, and you need to be taught what's right. Now then, the first time to fixing a problem is realizing the problem. Tell me, what do you think is wrong with you?”

“There's something wrong with everybody. Why pick me specifically?”

“Oh, don't worry. Your friends'll get the same treatment. 'Cept for the little rascal. I'm not even sure he has a moral compass.”

“I've got a lot of issues. Anything in particular you feel like pointing out?”

“Actually, yes, there is. I'm sure you recall those fellas from the bank, don't you?”

“What about them?”

“I hear you weren't very nice to 'em, turning off their equipment. They had an important job to do, and you stopped them from completing it.”

“I'm pretty sure they were robbing that bank. Isn't stealing supposed to be a bad thing, Mr. Moral Compass?”

“You're ‘pretty sure’? It's probably best to be certain about these things before you go interfering. What if, say, they weren't stealing but rather taking back what was theirs?”

“Well it's a bank. As far as I know, they store valuables for other people. If they were taking their own stuff, shouldn't they be able to get it legitimately, instead of breaking in? My best assumption is they were trying to take something that wasn't theirs. Get me?”