It's going to be two years now that my dad died; a few days after my 15th birthday. My grandfather, Mark Rembrandt, died when I was five on October 23rd. I barely remember him, but I know how much he meant to my father. Now he is a mystery to me with the whole arranged marriage. October is such a heavy month for this family, which has funneled down to just me and my mom now. I guess Zach's family has become my family now too, not just friends of my family. I feel like I don't know them anymore, and I'm so confused and angry and upset over the fact that my dad was taken away when I needed him the most.

"Yeah."

"Your mother called me yesterday and asked if we wanted to go to the cemetery together."

"Why does she always have to do that! She thought I was mature enough to get married but not for her to treat me like an adult? She has to come to you for everything, talk around me like I'm some child!" At this point I'm fuming with rage so I get up and start walking to nowhere but he'a quicker on his feet. He pulls me close like a loving partner and it's strange and even more confusing.

"I didn't mean to upset you. I just want you to talk to me. I want to help you through this."

"How could you possibly know about this?" Immediately when I say this I regret it. Of course he knows. His dad just died too.

"I'm so sorry Zach, I didn't mean--"

"I know. It's ok." When he says this I burst into tears. How can he be so calm, so forgiving and caring when I'm acting so stupid. It's been two years and I still act like it happened yesterday, I'm angry and lashing out. The complete opposite of my absent mother. Here I have someone who really cares for me and I don't even know how to accept his support.

"I'm sorry Zach," I repeat as I wipe away tears. I feel him nodding into my hair, and at this point I don't care if I look like a blubbering, sobbing idiot. I just want to stay in his warm arms and cry until October ends. 

But he pulls away just slightly so I can see his face, his very close face. 

"You were there for me, and I don't know how I can ever make it up to you for that." He adjusts his glasses. "All I know is I'm going to be here for you, for whatever you need." I nod. 

"Why don't we celebrate your birthday with your mom and my mom. And if you feel up to visiting the cemetery, we'll go, just us, if you want."

"Ok." 

Three days later and I'm finally seventeen, although I wish I was turning eighteen. At least then I'd be a legal adult, with no obligation to take orders or suggestions from anyone. 

The four of us go to a restaurant that I used to go to a lot with my parents, but of course Zach didn't know when he made the reservation. I try to smile and at least pretend I was in a celebratory mood, but with the fake smiles from my mom and the memories from this place, I don't think I am really convincing. The wedding band feels tighter than the last time I had it on. 

"Well, Emma, you're one year closer to adulthood and you still act like a child," my mother snidely remarks as she takes a sip of her drink. I don't understand why she has to humiliate me like this. I just roll my eyes, I knew this was a bad idea. Even if she is resentful because of my father, why does she have to take it out on me?

But Zach holds my hand under the table, and says, "Emma is actually pretty great, not at all like a child. She wouldn't have stepped up for Remlor otherwise, right?" A squeeze of the hand. An irritated look from my mom. A blushing smile from me.

My mom doesn't make another snappy remark. Sarah suggests we take a break from talking about Remlor or anything related, to focus on the "reason we're celebrating." What is that reason? That I'm a year older?