[7] Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

“Are…are you sure you’re okay?”

I laughed nervously, patting him on the head. “I’ll be okay silly. Don’t worry about me. Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to party, how ‘bout you?”

He cracked a smile and started the truck up again. “Yeah, I am too I guess,”

“Then let’s go!” Seth revved the engine as his response before pulling back onto the now deserted road. In a few minutes we had finally made it to the ‘secret place I couldn’t know about’.

The driveway was long and covered with lights and arches. I was in awe as we passed a huge marble statue. It seemed to be secluded from everyone’s view, but to tell the truth, the house was beautiful. There were at least three stories and all the lights were on in every room. It looked pretty…and expensive.

“Seth…where are we?”

“Oh, this is just a friend of mine’s place. Don’t worry; it’ll be loads of fun.” He turned down another windy drive and parked next to the other hundred. He cut the engine and jumped out, opening the door for me. I smiled, taking his hand and jumping out, my converse landing in a small water puddle. Lovely.

“Don’t worry, you can take them off when we get inside.” I ended up keeping them on, but the walk the house was longer than the drive. Inside, however, was more awesome that the outside. There were decorations everywhere, everything from Middle Eastern tapestries on the walls to Asian Buddha lamps on every end table.  

“Wow, this is...really cool,"

 “I thought you'd like it,”

Seth turned to talk to a guy who tapped his shoulder. I took that chance to pull my hand away and go exploring. The kitchen was as big as Emily’s entire house, with an old Victorian feel to it. There were family pictures on the walls. I took a little time to gaze at them before heading down the hallway. More pictures hung on the walls, but these weren’t family pictures. There were ones with beaches and others with a single flower in black and white. It looked like someone in the house was a photographer, or at least was one hell of a camera master.

Next I found a grand staircase that lead up to the second level. The upper level seemed to have been decorated by a teenager of some sort. The walls were a mix of blue and black, the floors a deep red. As I walked down one of the halls I saw an open door. My curiosity peeked, so I took a glance in. The room was crazy.

The walls were zebra print wallpaper, and matched the carpet. The queen-sized bed had tiger print on it, and various shaped rugs were all the same pattern. Take a guess.

The bathroom was the size of my bedroom twice over. It had an old country look with dark wood cabinets and ivory fixtures. As I walked out, something hit me. It took a second to register that it was a girl who was walking down the hallway. I fell onto the hardwood floor with an ‘oof’.  The girl gasped, obviously upset with what she did.

“Shit! I’m sorry, here, let me help you up,” She grabbed my hand and jerked me up to my feet. I smiled, “Thanks.” She was wearing a ‘To Write Love on Her Arms’ T-shirt and white jeans. Her hair was dyed a dark red, which happened to match her flats. Overall, she was beautiful. Her green eyes shone brightly as they bore into my own blue ones. “So, how do you know Dick?”

I blinked, cocking my head to the side. She opened her mouth and formed an ‘Oh’ on her lips, telling me she understood. “He’s the host of this wonderful party.”

“I see. Yeah, my-” I stopped, almost saying ‘boyfriend’, but I changed my mind. “friend brought me here. Apparently he knows the guy,”

“Cool,” Her eyes widened again and she grabbed my hand, smiling like a maniac. “Come on, I’ve got something to show you pretty girl.”

The girl dragged me up another set of stairs that led to a huge, open room where you could look down onto the first floor where everyone was dancing to ‘Don’t Trust Me’ by 3oh!3. On this floor, there was a huge mass of people playing video games, pool, air hockey;  you name it, they probably had it there.

“Holy crap,”

She smiled, “I know,”

We ended up playing Kinect Adventures on the XBOX for a while before Seth found his way up. When he first entered the room, his face showed confusion and a hint of worry.  When he saw me, he smiled, looking relieved then.

“There you are! I was afraid that someone took you and dragged you off into the forest.” A smile formed on my lips, and I laughed, grabbing his hand. Seth, however, didn’t look like he was joking. It was time to change the conversation.

“Oooh! Who’s this cutie?” Red asked, pulling Seth towards her to take better inventory. He looked slightly uncomfortable. She glanced at me and asked with her eyes, ‘Who’s he?’

“This is my friend, the one who brought me here,”
“Oh, I see,” she instantly let go, coming over to stand by me. Just as she did so, the grandfather clock in the hallway chimed that it was 10 o’clock. Red seemed to tense up then, and she suddenly pulled me into a hug.

“It was very nice meeting you, but I need to go now, good-bye!” She waved as she flew down the stairs and out the French doors. She reminded me of Cinderella.

The music changed to the song ‘Perfect’ by Pink. Seth seized my upper arm and pulled me down the staircase and onto the makeshift dance floor. We danced the next few minutes like we were in our own world. The smiles on our faces never faded, nor did our enthusiasm. This was my favorite song.

That night was pretty damn perfect.

=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---= 

We were walking back to the car when I finally asked him how old he was.

“I’m 15, why?”

I almost spit out the last of my soda. “Wait, what?! You’re only 15 and you were driving on the road!?”

“I have my temps!” He defended, crossing his arms over his chest.

“But you’re supposed to drive with an adult in the car! And only during the day time! Neither of which are occurring here.” I continued to rant on as we got into the truck and drove home. He helped me out again when we got there. Sam was sitting in the chair by the window, awaiting my return. Emily was no where to be seen, so I figured she went to bed. It was Midnight after all.

Seth hugged me on the door step. “I had a great time,”

I smiled, grabbing his hand. “Me too,”

Seth’s smile lasted a second before it disappeared suddenly, his face now twisted with anger. He looked near the trees, taking off into them. “Seth!” I called, chasing after him. “Where are you going?”

Halfway into the forest, I heard something like an explosion. Shreds of clothing, what Seth had been wearing seconds before, were now scattered all over the floor. Where he was once stranding was now… A wolf.  A werewolf to be exact.

My heart stopped for a second, making my pulse race and sweat form on my forehead. There was no such things as Vampires or werewolves, so why was there a mythical creature standing there just feet in front of her. It was all too much.

Out of the blue, a figure fell from the top of a tree. It was a vampire, the one who had attacked me a few weeks ago. On that certain day I’d like to but would never forget.

Wolf Seth growled, going down to a ready to attack stance. The vampire just snickered and said, “My my, the little doggie seemed to be upset about something.”

Seth took two steps forward, snarling at him. The vamp took a few steps back. “Fine fine, have it your way. I’ll leave. For now.” As quick as he was there, vampire was gone. Seth turned and saw me, his dog face looking very upset. I ran away from him, back to the yard and behind a tree. My knees were too weak to hold me any longer. My back slid until my bottom hit the ground.  This wasn’t happening, I thought, there’s no way…

Seth appeared ahead of me, now somehow in human form once again. He sat down next to me, his eyes worried and sad. “Now you know.”

My lungs stopped working and when I looked at him my words came out as only a whisper. “This is not happening,”

Everything faded to black.