[14] Chapter Fourteen

Heels in hand, I slowly made my way down to the basement. The space was a warm welcome for my horrid mood. My shoes were thrown in the corner with the others and I plopped down on my bed. I made it just in time. Tears formed in my eyes and gushed out like a waterfall. Blindly, I reached for a pillow and buried my face in it, drowning out the gut-wrenching sobs that were coming from deep within me. My legs curled up against my chest leaving me in a tight ball on the center of my bed. My mind kept repeating over and over, why, why, WHY?! Why now, everything’s perfect.

There was a light tap at my door. No way was I going to get up and answer it. Besides, it was locked anyway. After a few minutes of silence, the door creaked open and footsteps made their way down, one by one. I looked up to see Seth standing over me, looking more handsome than ever. His hair fell just right and his sad expression drew me in. “Mirabelle…” Without another word, I pulled him down onto the bed and wrapped my arms around him, a whole new fresh batch of tears pouring out onto his warm chest. One hand caressed my waist while the other held my head against his chest.

“Shh, it’s alright. I’m here now.” His voice was like a switch, the tears were a simple stream now, but I didn’t let go. His warmth engulfed me and my eyes were drifting closed on me. Seth took his hand from my head and placed it on my cheek, turning it up to face him. His eyes were glowing a brilliant brown, even in the darkness. I found myself rising to meet him, his lips happily meeting mine.

The heat from his lips radiated through my head as the kiss deepened. There was a pang in my heart, telling me how much I was going to miss this after I was gone. My fingers ran through his hair, feeling how soft it was. Seth broke the trance, pulling down another pillow and placing it under his head. I curled up on his chest once more and fell into a deep sleep.

--------------------------

When I opened my eyes, I was all alone on my bed. I sat up, looking around my room. The small window on the west wall was streaming in sunlight. I glanced at the clock and let out a gasp. 9:37am. “Crap!” Within seconds I had a pile of clothes on the bed and ran upstairs for a quick shower. Why hadn’t my alarm gone off? I was half-way through shampooing my hair when there was rapid knocks on the bathroom door.

“Mirabelle! Hurry, he’s here.” Emily called, still rapping on the door.

“Okay, just a minute!” I yelled back, cursing as I dried myself off and, just in a towel, scampered back downstairs to get dressed. Emily was waiting with the man by the door, politely chatting with him.

“Oh yes, she’s a very nice girl. She’ll be no problem at all.” Emily said, a small smile on her face. Wait, smile?

“That’s just what I wanted to hear,” Chuck replied, looking over at me. “So, you ready to go?”

I looked around, wondering where Tara and Seth where. Not to mention Sam. “Um, just a minute,” I grabbed Emily’s hand, pulling her into the kitchen. “Where are Tara and Seth?”

“They left early this morning.”

“Wait, what?” I was baffled. Wouldn’t they want to stay and say good bye?

“They had some important matters to tend to,” Emily smiled once more and walked back into the living room. What the hell is going on here?

I walked back into the living room, seeing Chuck and Emily at it again. Chuck turned to me and said, “Alright, let’s go.”

“But I didn’t say good-bye to Tara or Seth!” I said, fury bubbling up inside me.

“Too bad, let’s go,” his tone became fierce as he grabbed my arm and pulled me out the door to his car. As hard as I tried, I couldn’t shake him. He threw me into the back seat and started the car. Emily stood in the doorway, waving and smiling. “No!” I yelled. “NO!”