[19] Chapter Nineteen

::Mirabelle POV::

"...Rena?" I called tentatively from my room. 

"Yeah?" She answered back. 

"Has this actually ever happened to you before?" My voice shook with fear. I wasn't afraid of much, but being stuck in a basement in a cell-like room with no window to the outside really freaked my out. The air was musty and damp, I could hear water dripping from the ceiling, the sound echoing through the walls. 

Rena's laugh rang out in the silence, sounding exceptionally loud. "I work in a bar, Mirabelle. I sneak out at night, and don't come back until the sun rises. To answer that stupid question, yes, I've been caught before."

"Did she do this to you?"

"Yup, she does this to every kid. Usually we're in here for a few days, four at the most. No food, no water. At least I've got you to talk to." This time when she laughed, I could hear a hint of fear in her voice as well. We were in a seriously dangerous situation. 

"This isn't right! Someone could actually die from punishment like this!" I yelled, punching the brick wall behind me. My tailbone was beginning to go numb from sitting on the concrete floor. No way was I even going to take a chance even sitting on the dingy cot in the corner. I was pretty sure the sheets weren't originally that  color. The thought of little kids being thrust down here, stuck in this grimy, dirty room made me sick to my stomach. 

"When you work in Fairview, population 10, would  you really expect anyone to truly care about what happens? Hell, did you even know that one of our regular customers in the town Sheriff? He comes in and drinks until he passes out on the floor. He never stops. I hear he has a fridge in his office at the station that's filled with just beer. People like that don't give a shit about orphans like us, Mirabelle. He could care less if she murdered every kid that got on her nerves. He wouldn't investigate. And the kids here would be too scared out of their minds to even attempt to report her for the fear of being shot themselves." Shuffling sounds came from Rena's room.

"Don't you get it? No one really cares. What about you're boyfriend?" My entire body stiffened. Even at the thought of Seth made my eyes water. "How do you even know he's trying to come find you? Maybe he gave up on you and started dating another girl."

"Stop it!" I yelled, the tears streaming down my cheeks. "Just, stop it. You don't even know him. He is the sweetest guy anyone could ask for. He cares for me, he loves me." My words were getting caught in the lump of tears that had formed in my throat. "I know he loves me, we wouldn't have imprinted if he didn't love me." A sob escaped, opening the floodgate to the point where I couldn't stop. Rena was trying to calm me down.

"Oh Mirabelle, I'm sorry.  didn't mean to go that far, honest. It's just...Being stuck in this forsaken place makes me so angry I could kick a dog right now."

"You can't kick dogs, Rena. That's not nice," I managed to say. Rena's chuckles mingled with my own as the atmosphere lightened a bit.

"Mirabelle?" Rena asked suddenly, her voice becoming quieter.

"Yes Rena?" I wiped the salt water from my eyes as I waited for her to continue. 

"What do you mean by imprinted?"

"Huh?" rubbed my nose against my shirt, her question throwing my off a bit. "That's the bond between a human and a werewolf." As soon as I said it, I knew I was in trouble. "Shit!" I muttered to myself.

"What do you mean?"Her voice was laced with confusion. 

"Rena, can you keep a secret. I mean, a really big secret?"