[9] Chapter Nine

A rain and snow mix started falling from the sky, dropping the temperature and picking up the wind. I just ignored it all, letting it soak through me as I wandered around Forks, trying to figure out where I could go to think. The library was still open for another hour, but it would be hard for me to stay there, I thought.

My next thought was, home. My home, the one I was practically kicked out of.  That’s where my feet carried me to. The door was unlocked, but there was a sign on the door that said, ‘Auction: Sat. September 30th.” That was next weekend. I swear my heart skipped a beat for a second time that day. They were selling my house? MY house?! The place I’d grown up in? Where all of my memories were made with my…

I walked inside, trying to take my mind off of it. All of the furniture was covered with white sheets. My family pictures were still in place, but there were boxes everywhere, ready to hold them. The only room that hadn’t been touched yet was my room. Everything was just how I’d left it that day. Books scattered on my bed, CD’s all over the desk top. Clothes on the floor. I finally felt at home.

Walking back to the kitchen, I searched for food, anything that I could eat. There was nothing there, nothing at all. Then I remembered the Ramen I had stashed away behind my bed. I ran back to my room, relieved to see them there.

It tasted delicious. Once I had everything cleaned up a bit, it was about 8 o’clock. For not doing anything all day, I sure was tired. I made my bed and changed into pajamas, slipping under my covers. It felt right being here, even though I wasn’t supposed to be. I fell asleep with a smile on my face and tears staining my checks.

=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-=--=---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

~Sam POV~

“Honey!” Emily called from the open screen door. I had been out scanning the forest after Seth had seen that bloodsucker running around. She sounded worried, which, with what had been going on the past couple days, wasn’t a good sign. I walked in to see my fiancé pacing back in forth in her work clothes.

“What’s wrong?”

“She never came home! It’s almost nine o’clock and Mirabelle hasn’t come home yet!” Tears were forming in her eyes, spilling over onto her blue cotton shirt.

“Really? Where did she go?” I asked, gently pulling her into my arms, comforting her.

“I sent her to town to get groceries and something for herself. She left around 3 and I haven’t seen her since! Oh Sam, I’m so worried about her!”

I rubbed her back, leading her into the living room and placed her down on the couch. Telling her where I was going, I took the truck and went into town, calling Seth on the way. Leah answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Leah!” I all but yelled, “I need to talk to Seth, now!”

There was silence for a minute on the other end before she answered, “Um, he’s not here. He said something didn’t feel right and ran off a few minutes ago.”

I felt both shocked and relieved. “Okay, well, thanks anyway,” I reached for the end button when I heard her say, “Wait!” so I put the phone back up to my ear to listen to her.

“Is this about that girl he’s been thinking about? Mary or something…”

“You mean Mirabelle?”

“Sure, yeah, her. He’s really into her, isn’t he?”

“Yeah, he is he might have even-”

“Don’t! she yelled. “Don’t…say it. Please, don’t.”

“Okay, I won’t,” I said my good-bye and hung up, picking up the speed. Mirabelle, I thought, please be alright.