4. Comfortable Prisoner

After being left alone, I lay awake in the darkness.

I thought about what it was like before. Being out there, alone, scavenging for food. Sometimes my stomach hurt so much from the hunger, it felt like I would never fall asleep. Now I would always have food, and I when I washed up, I could actually stay clean for a while. I also wouldn't have to fight any of the dead while in here. I was locked away. In Sanctuary, I was safe, but I couldn't shake this overwhelming feeling of dread.

I was stuck here and something told me I wasn't the only one.

***

Today, I would follow Lexi again. At least until I got my bearings I think. I had showered and dressed awaiting her arrival. For now, I was just hanging out when I heard a knock on my door.

"Hey Enid," Lexi called out to me from outside my door. "Get out here. There's someone I want you to meet."

I quickly got up and opened it.

The man she was with was tall and slim, but the thing that stood out most about him was hair. It was dark brown, thick and curly and made him look like a surfer. Or maybe it was the shirt. Yeah, it was definitely the shirt. He had on a colourful Hawaiian style shirt that was unusual for someone nowadays.

"This is Eli," Lexi said.

"So you're Enid, are you? Nice to meet you." He extended his hand for what I expected was a handshake. Instead he kissed my hand. "Mi'lady," he said.

"Such a goddamn weirdo." Lexi said to herself with a grin.

I admit the kiss caught me off guard for a moment. It wasn't just did, but the way he did it. It didn't make me cringe or feel uncomfortable. He just looked like someone genuinely happy and at ease here. Like he loved life. I didn't think it was possible.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you too," I said as he dropped my hand. You must be from somewhere warm I'm guessing..." I said, trying to make conversation.

"Or maybe I just found a suitcase belonging to some middle aged white man who wore these shirts thinking they looked good on him," Eli said. "And I found out I they look better on me."

"Definitely look way better on you than anyone I've ever seen," Lexi joked, before looking around. "All right. I'm gonna take her to get something to eat. You coming?

"Sorry, got things to do."

"OK. We will talk later, OK," Lexi told him.

"Yeah, "Eli said, as he began to head off. He turned back around and gave us both a salute before he turned the corner. Lexi and I started in the opposite direction.

"He's good. Don't worry," Lexi said after a moment.

"Good?" I repeated quietly aloud and she must hear me because she explains herself.

"I mean... he's safe. You can trust him wholeheartedly. A lot of guys around here, you can sense just how sleazy and gross they are. Would sell you out in a heartbeat. Eli's not like that it. He's got a good heart."

I nodded.

"And when I'm not around. He's the next best thing." She smiled, but her eyes looked like she wanted to say more.

***

After getting breakfast for me, Lexi showed me where to get food and supplies. Never actually got any myself. She still did all that for me. Everything after that was just "Never go here" and stay away from this place". I ended up back in my room exhausted as hell.