Chapter 3

Mere observation costs nothing.

‘It costs everything,’

But it doesn’t have to. The stoic voice, unwavering.

‘I feel I have no choice.’

Which is just the problem. You feel too much.

‘I could make a difference. I will make a difference,’ came the rigid response.

To everyone?

The fog lifted from Eutopia’s eyes fading to nothing as though it had never been. But she wasn’t Eutopia, she could feel that. Her name was Eirene. She knew that because she remembered her mother, her soft sweet mother with her bright, dancing eyes, as she chuckled, ‘Peace! I named you for Peace!’ as Eirene tore ferociously after her brother Germanus because he had teased her mercilessly all day. Where was Germanus now? She didn’t know. All she could be sure of at that moment was the passion beating in her heart and in her veins. Her Master, the frail and bent old scholar had only been laid to rest that day, only hours before she had found herself sold at auction to the highest bidder. Perhaps if he hadn’t have lived alone, if he’d had a family, Eirene and Germanus may have been able to stay together. But Germanus was a big, strapping lad of twenty five now and there were many fields that needed sowing and farms that needed tending. Eirene knew she was lucky to have been sold at all, since the light and fair Circassia girls had become the fashion. With her long dark hair and matching eyes, at twenty Eirene still possessed a childlike beauty, graced by her mother’s good blood and evidently that had appealed to the man she now stood before.

The villa was richer by far, and larger, than her previous home. Everywhere Eirene looked her eye came across a brightly coloured mosaic or an intricate painting and the musical tinkle of the water spouting from the bronze dolphin fountain was tantalizing as she stood in the atrium.

‘Alexis,’ came the equally musical voice, causing the elegant man to glance behind him. A woman as tall and as statuesque as he was came sweeping out from the room to their left. ‘I thought I heard your voice! Welcome home, brother.’ The woman kissed the man lightly on his cheek without having to stretch. Eirene could not tear her eyes away from the two of them. She had never seen a woman as beautiful as the one that towered before her. Blonde hair so fair it gleamed like gold was artistically twisted and pinned up, dripping with delicate chains of semi-precious stones that glimmered with each movement. Her white stola over-garment and the belted tunica beneath were of finely woven silk, coloured the dusky pink of a stormy sunset and richly embroidered with gold thread. In stark contrast to the woman the man, Alexis, was darker by far and the dalmatica he wore over his white tunic was a bold red colour. His cloak, fastened at his right shoulder by a gleaming ruby pin, was plain ivory and yet he was just as opulent in appearance as the beautiful woman. 

‘Liviana,’ Alexis replied, smiling at the warm greeting.

‘Oh.’ Liviana intoned as she finally noticed Eirene standing with them, as still as the spouting dolphin behind her. The warmth from Liviana’s light eyes evaporated as she caught sight of the simple silver circlet at the girl’s throat. ‘Another one, Alexis? Honestly, our household is not big enough to warrant a third slave.’ Eirene shifted uncomfortably as the two of them looked at her again.

‘You know my intentions, Liviana. I have made no secret of them.’ Alexis replied, patiently as he turned to his sister.

‘She is pagan?’

Alexis nodded. ‘It is against the law now to sell a Christian.’ The honest, open expression on his smoothly chiselled face caused Liviana to smile again, indulgently.