Chapter 4 - A Broken Promise

Start from the beginning

My dearest family,

In my mind, the note was addressed to me, only me. I was the only one that cared what he called me, and so I took the address to heart.

I am sorry for my long silence. Things have been too busy for any letter writing. The king recently asked me to dine with him, and we began to talk of dangerous routes through Asteland, where the ogres and mountain trolls have terrorized travelers since Falea was formed. The next day, he invited me to ride with the hunt, and I got the impression that I was being scrutinized. A few days later, I received a letter from him—the contents of which cannot be revealed here, for I now bear a secret of the crown. I can only say that he is sending me away on business to see a very, very important friend of his.

I'm asking you not to worry—no, telling you. I will be traveling along the forest roads and will be safe from most dangers. I have been equipped with an entire outfit of men and everything I'll need. If and when I return, I will be offered a place at court if I desire to take it, which I'm sure you would all enjoy immensely.

I was never the type to swoon easily, but I suddenly felt dizzy, and the hairs at the base of my scalp prickled. The ogres were a constant trouble to peaceful Faleans. They attacked randomly and without provocation. Before King Erik's reign, people lived in constant terror of an attack, and though things were much safer now, people kept weapons easily at hand in case of unexpected trouble.

Now, Father would be traveling through the ogre-infested Astelands (the only part of Falea untouched by King Erik's rule; they're often referred to as No Man's Land because of the danger), and I wouldn't know anything for months to come. He would be unable to contact us at all, and I would live in constant fear of a letter bearing the royal seal.

I was unable to breathe for several moments. I simply stared at the page, the words all blurring together like one line of black. When I continued, my voice was so altered, I hardly recognized it.

By the time you receive this, I will long have been gone, so writing me will be pointless. I have arranged a nice place to you to stay for the celebrations, and everything you asked for will be sent to you as soon as possible. The final details will be seen to by the king's own steward, and I think you shall want for nothing.

I fear I must end this now. The king is eager for us to be on the road, and the horses are already nervous as is. It's as if they know where they are bound, or they simply smell the men's fear. Farewell until our next meeting, my loves.

                                                           Lovingly yours,

                                                                            L. Angarden

His signature looked so strange there beneath the words that caused so much pain in my hear. I struggled to swallow, and the others moved back a bit, their heads bowed. They were, no doubt, regretting encouraging me to read it. I was glad, though, in a way. At least Mother and the girls wouldn't see the effect it had on me.

"I must take it to Mother." I whispered hoarsely around the lump blocking my windpipe. They mumbled assent, and I moved back into the house, folding the wretched letter.

Inside the house, all was silent. It was teatime. I walked slowly down the hall, running my fingers over the edge of the paper as if to convince myself it was real. I knocked on the sitting room door and received the command to enter. I moved slowly; now that I was this close, I found myself longing to be alone in my sorrow for another moment.

The door creaked on un-oiled hinges as it swung open. To my surprise, most of the furniture had been rearranged to suit the latest drawing room fashions. They looked startled at my entry, and Flora's expensive, porcelain teacup crashed to the ground.

"Father has sent word." The words met my ears before I realized I'd even spoken.

Overcoming her shock, Mother set her teacup on the work table beside her chair. "And what does he say?" She folding her hands primly in her voluminous lap.

I handed her the envelope without speaking. She took it, her eyebrows slightly raised, but she made no comment. Opening it, she quickly skimmed the page. To my surprise, she only grew a shade paler than usual and handed it quickly to Flora. For a moment, I thought I saw something like regret flash across her features, but it was a fleeting moment, and she masked her emotions quickly.

Flora blushed slightly and passed the letter to Adella and Annabella, moving to sit beside Mother. Adella was unimpressed by Flora's behavior. She snatched the letter, reading it quickly before tossing it aside. There was a cold smile on her lips.

"A place in court. Oh, yes, Mother." Flora breathed. Suddenly, she flung herself out of her seat, grasping Annabella and waltzing about the room. "This is it! It's finally here!" She bubbled exuberantly, forgetting that I was still in the room, a look of stunned shock on my face.

"Of course, my dear." Mother beamed at her favorite daughter. "Now, we shall have everything we ever wanted, and you shall want for nothing." There was a certain satisfaction in the way she spoke. Then her eyes flicked to me, and she cleared her throat. "Flora, please sit down. You father is still in grave danger. We must inform the bishop, so he can pray about the matter in church." Flora seemed to realize what Mother was saying and sank back into her seat, suddenly appearing horror-stricken.

"I am sorry, Mamma. Give me back the letter, Annabella. I want to read it again." Her sorrow was a farce. It wasn't true. She didn't care. I didn't understand why, but I knew that there was no sadness in her heart for Father.

The world around me seemed to spin madly, and I was still shaking when Flora leapt from her seat again, flying out of the room in a torrent of blubbers and sobs. She was faking.

"Don't just stand there." Mother cleared her throat, regarding me imperiously. "Have Greta bring up some lunch. I fear this news has made me quite ill and faint. We must all hold to each other in this dark hour." Her voice made me wish to empty my stomach all over her expensive carpets, but I merely nodded and retreated to the servants' quarters where I could try to forget what I had just witnessed in a sink of dirty dishes.

WOW. . .I can't believe it's the new year!!! Time has just slipped away from me. . .again. Happy New Year, everyone!! I hope 2018 is treating you as well as it has treated me so far! I do miss 2017 and all the fun I had in it, but I'm excited for what this year might have to offer. 

What was your favorite part about 2017? What are you most looking forward to in 2018?