Hades smiled because he would be right there to collect his soul along with Elizabeth's.

"The Duke will come to you to confirm the toxins in the King's system. You will tell him that the Queen came to you in the middle of the night to request for it. Do not lie because I saw it happen. Afterwards, I will come back to collect you." Morton was a soul that he'd brought back from the Underworld to keep a close eye on Alessandra for medical reasons.

"What about our deal?"

"I have not forgotten. You may be reunited with your family in the Sanctuary." Hades had punished the doctor for poisoning a number of people in his human life before he passed away. Morton wasn't a bad man because all the men that he poisoned weren't good people, but still he'd abused his knowledge of medicine. However, he did become useful.

"Thank you, Hades." Morton bowed.

Hades nodded. "Now, be prepared."

A storm was coming, and Hades was ready to collect.

"Mother, what's wrong?" Alessandra rushed to the Queen with Greer in tow. The pair had just gone for a short stroll around the castle grounds and they'd come back just in time to see Elizabeth.

Alessandra had never seen her mother so anxious all her life. She'd mastered keeping herself in control at all times, but now she was anything but. She took her daughter's hand and said calmly, "Lady Greer, forgive me, but I must talk with my daughter about a pressing issue."

Greer looked from her aunt to her cousin and curtsied once. She wanted to be a part of whatever urgent business that was about to happen, but she did what she was told. "Of course, Your Majesty. Princess."

"What's wrong?" Alessandra asked when her cousin reentered the palace.

I made a deal with Death and you will be claimed, Elizabeth wanted to say. She wanted to tell her everything that happened from the time she was born until now. She wanted to lay all her cards on the table for her daughter to see that she wasn't the perfect woman that she was led to believe. Alas, there would be another time for her to tell her daughter the truth. Now, she had to focus on the plan.

"I have to get you out of here." There wouldn't be time for both of them to leave because she had to make sure no one caused any alarm and she didn't want them to know that Alessandra was gone.

"What, why?"

"I did something terrible and now I fear that I might be called in for judgment." She turned around to find that her ladies were still behind her. She nodded to them and they took turn to curtsy before they turned around and walked away in a single file line.

"What did you do?"

"There's no time. We have to-"

"Your Majesty, we've been looking everywhere for you." Out of the blue, Duke Trescot appeared. He'd been finely dressed in black and his boots looked extra shined. He wore his status with pride and he would undoubtedly use his power as he saw fit when or if he found out what Elizabeth had done to the King.

Instinctively, Elizabeth took a step in front of her daughter. "Duke Trescot, I am relieved that you've finally made an appearance."

"You must forgive me for I've had pressing issues to deal with. I have been looking for Her Majesty and the Princess for some time; I have some developments following the investigation of the King's death."

Elizabeth's heartbeat spiked, but she managed a small smile and nodded. "Very well, shall we all make haste to the throne room?"

"Of course, Your Majesty." He followed suit behind his queen and Alessandra.