Doing it for the Kids - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

When she looked up she was tempted to laugh, Mr Hodgson was trying to hide a smile, Hendrick Kaiser was fit to burst, he was struggling to control his temper, she almost laughed, but didn't.

Cutting up a kiwi fruit more elegantly than she ever had before she finally looked at the two men.

"I need to see more from you Mr Kaiser." Reaching for her own bag, she pulled her own papers out of her bag, and selected the top one then handed it to Nathaniel. "You see Mr Hodgson; the company is worth THIS amount." He took the paper she handed him, "and that means that Mr Kaiser here, for 40 percent of the company should be adding a few extra zeroes!" She smiled sweetly at the aforementioned Hendrick Kaiser, "and I would like to see the last two years worth of accounts, oh and if someone can get me information on my new property as well as MY portion of the company I would be really grateful. Now if that's all gentlemen, I really do have a lot to do."

With that she stood and exited the restaurant her heart racing in exhilaration, she'd loved seeing the shock on Hendrick Kaiser's face, that coupled with the humor and almost pride on the face of Mr Hodgson meant this was a high that would last awhile. Feeling like she was floating, she sailed out into the street, and smiled, this was a great day to start Christmas shopping, and boy were those two kids going to be spoilt.....they deserved it!

Violet shopped hard, Barbie and Ben 10 had never had it so good. Matt and Jo had offered their home as a store for anything she bought, and she took them up on it. Letting herself in using her key, she was their cat feeder for holidays too; she dumped the bags in their spare room, then almost ran to the school.

Both twins were bouncing from foot to foot as she approached, stood either side of their teacher. As she got closer, she could see that the teacher was looking anything but happy.

"Is there a problem Miss Hughes?"

She teacher was about the same age as Violet, but looked stressed.

"There was an incident today in the yard. Mr Edison would like for us to discuss it with you."

Violet's heart sank, looking down at the twins she saw that Emma was almost neurotic in her behavior, worried, frightened, Ethan however was sullen, angry and kicking at the floor with his scuffed shoes, averting any eye contact.

She squatted down beside them, "hey guys, what's going on?"

Emma started to cry and Violet immediately comforted her, pulling her into her arms, "hey cherub, it's ok. I'm here now." She kissed the top of her head as she looked to Ethan.

"Hey Ethan, you ok?"

He shrugged, his head still lowered. Violet looked up at the teacher, "can I talk to them somewhere first? I'd like to hear their story about what happened?"

The teacher nodded and gestured to the classroom behind. Inside sat on half size chairs, she looked at the twins, Emma was still crying.

"Ethan, what happened today? I've got to go and speak to the headmaster about this. I'd like to know what happened from you first."

Ethan looked up with a scowl, "he started it!"

"You had a fight?" his reply was a shrug, "who was the other kid?" He shrugged again. "Emz, help me out here, did you see it?

Emma started to cry, "Daniel Medford said that it was Ethan's fault that Mum died, that we smelled and that was why. So Ethan hit him."

Violet felt physical pain as she hugged the sobbing little girl, she tried to reach Ethan, but he evaded her.

"He's wrong Ethan, you know that? Your Mum loved you, she loved us all. She would do ANYTHING to be here now."

Ethan shrugged, "don't care."