The Silent Citadelchapter 4

Julius was awakened by the sound of the alarm, he rolled out of his bed and threw on his robe, his boots he picked up and carried. There would be time to pull them on once he reached the hall, as he approached he heard that many in the camp must already be there then he heard his masters voice boom out.

"What is the meaning of this?"

As he entered the room he saw his master, still dressed in a night shirt that did little to hide his large belly standing before the leader of the Watchers while the camps three Hunters stood off to one side.

"Our scouts watching the valley report a large glow in the sky, one risked climbing the bluff to look down into the valley and reported that there is a large fire within the Citadel." Answered Kalrick.

"You wake me up for that!" his master sounded outraged. "Take my apprentice and one of the Hunters and at first light go scout. When you know something then come see me." With that he turned and returned to his room.

Kalrick was about to push the matter but one of the Hunters stepped forward and placed a restraining hand on his arm and shook his head.

"It would do no good Kalrick, our Mage Hector is still smarting at been sent out here by the Mage Council, young Julius knows the spell of far seeing, if we ride in at first light we may be able to see something from the tree line."

Kalrick looked disgusted but nodded agreement, he then looked over to where Julius stood and grinned.

"Can you ride a horse boy? we're in the saddle in ten minutes so gather what you need quick." Kalrick turned to where his men stood waiting."Kai, i want a squad of five ready to ride so prepare eight horses." The man nodded and left, indicating the others should follow.

They had ridden hard for half an hour to reach the edge of the valley then sat waiting for the sky to begin to lighten. Finally Kalrick judged it safe to cross the wards and enter Vampyre territory and the had ridden on down through the trees. They had picketed their horses just back from the edge of the treeline, the light of the morning still leaving deep shadows and moved on foot to the edge of the trees. They looked down on the ruined city and great citadel where thick black smoke could still be seen rising straight up in the still morning air. They were a couple of miles away from the city so making out details in the early morning light was impossible.

"Well Julius, lets see your spell so we can peek at what those monsters are up to."

As julius removed a large silver bowl and canteen of water from his rucksack all heard faint screaming break out from far away at the citadel.The Hunter Arden had his sword half drawn before he realised.

"Vampyre screams?" He said confused. "Quick boy get your spell working.

Julius lay the bowl on the floor and quickly poured water into it, then began to chant, the water became like a mirror and the all could see the citadel on the surface. upon the walls small colums of smoke began to rise and then flashes of flame appeared.

" We need to see what is on the wall Julius, move closer." Demanded Kalrick.

The image on the water zoomed in until they could see naked figure chained to large metal posts. As the early morning sun shone onto them their flesh was turning black as it burnt until they exploded into flame, all the time they screamed in pain.

Kalrick looked over to Arden, both looked confused.

"Vampyre execution but of so many?" Said Kalrick.

"I think me,you and our young Mage here need to go take a closer look." Answered a very unhappy sounding Arden.

The image on the water disappeared as Julius looked up in shock.

"Why me? I'm just an apprentice."

Arden put his hand onto the young Mage's shoulder.

"Sorry boy but you're the best we got to hand."