I was a drop of oil in a pool of water.

My eyes fell onto Lord Hua, who was engaged in a conversation with Mama Ruga by the staircase, away from the common room where scantily-clad women entertained the men with dances and songs.

I inched closer toward them, making sure I was well-hidden behind the door frame. Mama Ruga was laughing, covering her mouth with a red silk handkerchief in an attempt to make her appear more feminine.

"We have a new girl, yes." My enhanced hearing picked up their conversation. "Very young and not yet tarnished. I think you'll love her."

Lord Hua's breath hitched, and I could already imagine the greedy gleam in his eyes.

"Five-hundred Gold Credits for the lass," he groused. "She is mine."

I didn't have to even think. My feet knew where to go. No-one stopped to ask where I was going, for they were too caught up in their endeavors.

Second floor, the small room on the right.

This was where Mama Ruga kept all the rich silk dresses and jewelry, reserved for the highest tier of pleasure ladies and gents. I pulled open a wardrobe and pulled out a gold dress with thin shoulder straps—ones that could be jerked loose with a single tug. There were a dresser and a full-bodied bronze mirror at the end of the room.

Ensuring the door was bolted shut, I changed back into Qara. I slid into the dress, its softness bringing out the curves and bumps in my body, and I let my hair fall down my shoulders, enough to give a tease. I brushed pearl-white powder across my face, finishing it with black xian across the eyelids and blood-red lips.

I finished the look by wedging my scalpel in between my bare skin and my chemise. Then, I gave myself a radiant smile in the mirror.

The Erdenese had a name for people like me—NüYao. Piercingly beautiful, devastating to near. A woman beautiful enough to seduce thousands to their downfall and then bask in their sorrows. I was never considered lovely enough to be called a NüYao.

But now, I was one. And I wasn't afraid to own the name.

I made my way up to the third floor. I was certain the new girl was held in the Red Room, a luxurious chamber where "debut nights" were carried out. No one was allowed near the Red Room whenever there was a new addition to the Pavilion, but we could hear the terrified screams of the girl inside even when we were five floors down.

But not tonight.

Softly, I pushed open the door of the Red Room and entered. A girl dressed in a sky-blue silk dress sat on the bed, her eyes wide and her hands trembling. She let loose a small scream when she saw me and scrabbled to the other side of the bed.

The hand around my heart gave it a tight squeeze, and I stalled.

She was just a child, like I was when I was trapped in this very room.

"Forgive me." I threw back the muslin curtains. The girl opened her mouth to scream, but I hurled a Whisper in her direction.

Sleep. You shall not wake until I command so.

Her mind was as open and clear as a green meadow on a windy day. My Whispering hit her right in the consciousness. Her eyes snapped shut, and she fell backward onto the pillows.

This was for the best. No child should endure what I went through.

I lifted her body off the bed and hid her in the wardrobe. Then, I assumed her position. I drew the curtains around the bed to create an air of mystery, so when Lord Hua entered, all he saw was a silhouette kneeling on the bed. I also made sure my back was slightly bent. Fear, that was the smell Lord Hua loved the most.