Hunter

(semi-dark terms, has happy ending unlike most of the one-shots)

Alone in a forest lived the hunter. No one had met them and if you did you would never meet again. It is known as the hunter's curse. Long ago the hunter had shot a buck that was with its doe and fawn. The majestic family of deer was nothing like they ever saw, and now they wish they hadn't. Like in most stories the majesticness of the deer was not a coincidence and had placed a curse upon the hunter. That no matter how long they spent time with someone they would never remember or meet him again, once they would leave his forest. So they stayed alone, trying not to get attached to those who would find his fancy tree house, and wonder who lived inside. For that is the way it has been and will always be, for the immortal isolated hunter of the forest. Or will it?

Like all powerful fairy tale curses, there is a way to break it. Though the hunter had met and bonded with many people, none would stay, for they had a family outside of his forest. They would promise to return one day, but for those who left and once more returned, did not remember their last trip. They had forgotten the bond in which they shared, and therefore, because of the hunter's stubbornness, did not try to create another. He would act cold and heartless to those who would return, knowing they would leave like they did before.

But unlike most curses, He didn't need to fall in love or have true loves kiss. All he needed was a friend, one to last him through his immortal years. One that would sacrifice their family, their life outside of the forest, for him. And that was a task no one was willing to do. So he was stuck there, alone and waiting. Until the day someone came into the forest once more.

A 13-year-old girl had been cast out of her village for practicing witchcraft. She had wandered into the forest seeking shelter. On her way, she found the hunter, who she befriended and was sheltered by for two years. She wanted to repay the hunter, so, the day after her 15th birthday, she left to bring a new bow to the hunter. The hunter searched for the young girl, fearing she became lost, only to find that she had left him like all the rest.

But for some reason, the girl remembered and continued on her journey to find the hunter a bow. It took her 5 years to find the perfect bow and make it back to the forest. As she was walking back she had stumbled upon the village she was tossed out of. She recognized all of them and saw her family. The family that sold her out for a bag of gold. The family who burned her belongings. The one who hated her, the one who beat her. And with the bow, the one she searched so long for, she struck them down, with vile hatred. 

She had every right to but, was deemed a vicious murder by the one and only majestic doe, watching from the entry of the forest. The doe had inherited its fathers magic and watched to see if the hunter would ever succeed in breaking his curse. He had noticed the friendship between the girl and hunter was different. On the night of her 15th birthday when she ventured out of his house, wanting to find a way to repay him, the doe came to her. He told her that he would allow her to keep her memories, but only if she promised to get a bow and do nothing for herself. If she would do something selfish, she would never enter again. She had kept her word all the way through her journey, up until this. The doe understood her rage and sadness and desperately wanted to agree and let her in. But could not break the deal.

The girl begged the doe for entrance into the forest. but, the doe merely shook her head and walked away. The girl ran trying to get in, but the barrier between them was too strong. She kicked it and punched and tried so hard to get in. But nothing worked. She slid down the barrier, sobbing and shaking. She yelled through the barrier, in one last attempt to give the bow to the hunter. She yelled and pleaded for him to come to her. The sound of her voice traveled far and wide. When the hunter heard her, he ran as quickly as he could to her. 'She remembered! She came back! My friend, that dear girl, she is back' the hunter thought. He ran and ran as fast as he could. as he approached the girl, he saw her tears. In his happiness he had not heard the despair and sadness in her voice, but noticed it all to much right there.

He walked to the girl, and kneeled across from her. She looked up and locked eyes. They were filled with concern, but that didn't stop either from the smiling. she held up the bow, showing him the beautiful hand made cravings on it. It was delicately made, but sturdy and long lasting. He looked back up to her.

"I have traveled far and wide to find the perfect bow for you. I wished to give it to you for everything you did for me. I am sorry it took me so long. I am also sorry for the pain I must have caused you. As well as, the mistake that I have made, for I can never enter the forest again. Could you ever forgive me." she asks. Silent tears flow down her face, but her eyes never leave his. He reaches out and takes the bow. He takes a second to look at it some more, before putting it on the ground next to him. 

As the girl is about to scold him for putting it on the ground, he reaches for her. His hand goes straight through the barrier, as if its not their. He leans his body though it, and grabs her shoulder, gently making her lean as well. Before either realize, they have their arms around each other. They sob like children in each others arms, giant and heavy tears of relief. Of joy. Of life. They are together. They are friends. And neither will have to be alone again.