Darkness

Random one-shot (will have dark terms)

     Crying in the darkness. In the law of the kingdom, I was declared a traitor. I was the Prince's personal maid. We had the same age and were great friends from the moment of our births. Like how our mothers secretly knew would happen, we fell in love. Sadly unlike our mothers, his father went on a rampage. 

     The king went to him, grabbed him by his arm and threw him down. He started to kick him in the gut and beat him until he spat out blood. I was unnoticed in the room and when I went to intervene, the prince looked me straight in the eye and mouthed the word "leave". He was serious and I knew if I did the king would beat me as well and I knew my prince well enough that he would blame himself. So I left, sorrow and resistance in my heart.

     That wasn't the only time the king beat him. I soon noticed a common thread in the beatings. It wasn't the time of day nor his mood nor his actions, but me. At first, I thought He never cared to notice me, but I was so wrong. He only beat him when I was in the room. I knew they had a great bond and he destroyed it, yet I knew It hurt him as much as his son, to break their so perfect bond. So for the sake of the Prince, the boy I love, and the king, the one who was like a father to me, I avoided the prince.

     My plan had worked. The beatings stopped and they had slowly mended the bond, even though they would deny it. But avoiding the prince became harder, as he soon found out I was the queen's maid now, and that I was the one who begged for it. He started trying to talk to me. He slowly started to become more persistent, and then he grabbed my arm and pulled me into his room. He slammed me against the wall, finally confronting me about why was avoiding him. And so I told him. And so he told me fourteen words that have been carved into my memory.

     " I'd rather get beaten every day than not talk to you for a day"

     So that night he proved something to me. That no matter how much I tried I would not be able to make him stop loving me. The next day the king found out what we did. And as he went to us, ready to once more break their bond. The prince, my prince, hit him instead. He started yelling about how dare he separate us, how dare he make me feel like I was the cause of the beatings. Then one of his guards noticed this and called for reinforcements. Both of us were put to treason.

     His father put him to death. I was to be as well but we found out that I was with child. The king and the Executioner would be killed if anyone ever found out that they killed a pregnant woman. So the king tried to think of a way to torture me, in a way that would be worse than death, but not harm me. That was when he heard that in another kingdom about solitary confinement. Aswell as when he remembered that I was terrified of the dark and emptiness of my room. And so he locked me up in a pitch black room with nothing except hay on the ground. 

I spent my whole pregnancy in that cell. I was alone. Not even a single bug or mouse entered my room. They would slip just enough food and water under the door for me to survive. But I didn't break like expected. I had nothing in the outside world. My true love and best friend had been murdered. I had nothing left of him, except my child. Our child. I had to survive for them and I was going to. When I went into labor the Queen finally had enough and took me to the infirmary. I was in labor until I gave birth to a son in the pitch black night. Despite the odds, he and I survived, healthy and happy.

And in that tiny moment of pureness, I knew It was all worth it. The queen had made a royal promise not to let him harm me or my child. And in that moment, the moment I knew we were finally safe, I cried. Tears of joy fell from my face. I was happy, content, and safe. Crying in the darkness.

I hope you liked that. I was inspired when our power went out. I started freaking out and screaming. I never knew that I was afraid of the dark, but I couldn't see anything. It was an empty feeling and I hated it. anyway, I hope you like my story!

Also p.s. for those who like this one-shot, I suggest watching this video on youtube red. It is free and is actually cool and freaky at the same time.