A Blast to the Past

"Hey Shiro! Wait up" I call as I trot to catch up with him on his way to the cafeteria. He smiles and greets me as I come to his side.

"What's up kiddo?" He asks happily. Had it been anyone else calling me kiddo, I surely would have lost it, but Shiro is my best friend, therefore he had a right to call me that. Not to mention he was 2 years my senior.

"You doing anything after school?" I ask as I look up at him and follow him into the cafeteria and to his usual table.

"Yeah, sorry Keith, I have work after school. Im free tomorrow though if you want to hang out?" He offers cheerfully. Who could resist him when he smiles like that?

"Ah, yeah, okay. I'll see you then" I reply, lightly nudging his arm before heading off to study hall. In all honesty I could have skipped study hall and no one would have noticed, but I was a little disappointed that Shiro was busy. I couldn't blame him though, he didn't control his work schedule.

For the remainder of the day I avoided Shiro, going out of my usual path to class so I wouldn't see him. Yeah, it's petty I know, but seeing him would only put me in a worse mood. It would remind me of how truly lonely I am. Damn I'm depressing aren't I?

After school, I took my usual route home, deciding I'd pass time by actually doing my homework. Funny how that works. Another late night for my parents to be working so I pour myself a bowl of cereal for dinner. No wonder I feel so lonely.

The next day, the only thing getting me out of bed was the fact that I'd get to hang out with Shiro today. Strange thing was though, Shiro didn't seem to be at school. Maybe he was taking different ways to his classes? Was he acting back against me, in reply to what I did to him yesterday? How rude.

During my lunch period I went over to McClain's table, surely he'd know if Shiro was here today or not, that man was always in our business. Making my way over to the table, conversation stopped amongst the girls that surrounded the boy.

"Keith, wha-"

"Is Shiro here today?" I ask, cutting him off before he could finish. I could feel some eyes on me, as it wasn't normal for me, the school's emo to talk to a prep so casually. God damn high school cliques.

"I didn't see him, why? Missing your boyfriend?" The Latino asks, a teasing tone in his voice. I scoff at him and yank the back of his jacket over the top of his head before storming from the cafeteria.

Out in the hallway I find the nearest door and leave the building. Clenching my jaw I turn and slam my fist into the brick wall. Damn that hurt. I shouldn't have done that. Should not have done that.

Doesn't matter anymore. I use my good hand to get my phone out and I dial Shiro's number, immediately being sent to voicemail. "God dammit Shiro!" I shout. It was a mix of anger at Lance and me being worried about Shiro. He never missed school, and he certainly wouldn't do it without telling me.

I take a deep breath, looking at the fresh cuts and new bruises that were forming on my knuckles. Great, another thing I'd have to explain to people.

Thinking some, I pulled up his mom's contact. Surely she would answer, she knows how it is between me and Shiro. I hit the dial button and listen to the ringing. It's tone bothered me.

"Keith? Sweetie?" I hear the familiar, sweet voice of Shiro's Mom. Her voice was different though? Tired, hoarse, what was wrong?

"Hey miss Shirogane, is Takashi home sick today?" I ask, the worry showing in my voice.

"Actually sweetheart, he got into an accident yesterday. He's been in intensive care all night" she explains vaguely. "You must be worried sick. Takashi should wake up in a couple hours if you'd like to stop by after school" she offers with a soft voice.

"I'm on my way now Miss Shirogane, I'll be there in about twenty minutes" I say before hanging up my phone and jamming it into my pocket. I made my way away from the school, not caring if I'd come up truant or not.

One bus ride later I was at the front doors of the hospital. I walk in and up to the desk where an older lady sat, scrolling through her computer. She looks up at me over her glasses as I come up.

"How can I help you sweetheart" she asks with a small smile.

"I'm here to see Takashi Shirogane. What room is he in?" I prod impatiently, leaning over the counter. She looks at her computer and types something in before looking at me apologetically.

"I'm sorry son, he's not allowed outside visitors, his mother will need to clear you to see him before you can go up" she explains softly. I slam my palm on the counter and turn away some, my teenage angst showing. "Oh dear, looks like you hurt yourself, are you alright?"

"I'm fine lady" I mutter, pulling my hand away and shoving it in my pocket. "Look, I just called Miss Shirogane, she said I could come in" I argue as I turn back to the woman.

"I'm sorry kid, you can't go up" she says, causing my hands to curl into fists. I feel a soft hand on my shoulder and turn to see Miss Shirogane in the flesh, her eyes red and her face tired.

"Hello Dorris, this is Keith. He's allowed to come see Takashi with me" she says with a soft smile, looking at the older woman. After waving us off, Shiro's Mom links her arm in mine like she often did with her son. Leading me to the elevator she begins speaking quietly.

"A truck hit him when he was driving to work yesterday. He's got cuts all over and his arm got crushed on impact. Poor boy, I just can't believe the truck driver left after hitting him" she explains, lightly gripping the fabric of my jacket. "They had him in surgery all night. His arm was so badly busted up they said it wouldn't be worth it to try and give him a cast.

"The doctors said too many of the nerves in his arm had been severed and that even if his bones did heal, he wouldn't be able to use his arm-" she says, my impatient self cutting her off as soon as I caught on to what she was saying. Stopping outside his room I pull my arm from Miss Shirogane.

"They amputated his arm?! How is he going to go to college or finish high school?" I ask, my voice breaking slightly.

"We can discuss school later, right now we just need to support him. Listen to me Keith, he has a mild concussion so if he doesn't want to talk please understand that" Miss Shirogane says seriously, holding onto the door handle before I nodded. She let me in, seeing how it clearly bugged me to be right outside the room.

Inside was a lamp and a curtain which I assumed had Shiro on the other side. I practically run over to the end of Shiro's bed. He had a blanket up to his chest and my eyes shot to his arms. His right one was cut just above the elbow with bandages covering the wound.

"Shiro" I whisper lightly, going over to his left side where a chair already sat, probably being occupied by his mom before. My friend's eyes open slightly to look at me. His eyebrows furrowed before he turned his head to face the other way.

"I'm sorry Keith" he mutters regretfully. I sit upright to look at him.

"Why are you apologizing? You have nothing to apologize for" I say, gripping his bed sheets in my hands.

"You were obviously worried sick about me" he hums, his voice barely audible. Taking my hand in his and looking at my bruised and blood crusted knuckles. "You even hurt yourself. I'm sorry."

I pull my hand away defensively. "No, Shiro. It's not that, I-"

"Please leave Keith. I want to sleep some" he mumbles, turning his head away again. My breath catches in my throat but I stand up and head back toward the door. "And please turn the lamp off?"

Quietly I nod, turning the lamp off and heading back out into the hallway. Miss Shirogane looked at me hopefully but I just turned away from her and took the flight of stairs down to the main floor. It killed me to be told to leave by my best friend. But if he wanted me to leave, I would.