sunshine - c.g. (sad/short)

"You are my sunshine..."

I look into his bright blue irises. So beautiful, shining like crystals in the light.

"My only sunshine..."

His eyes screamed his love for me louder than his voice ever could have.    But I didn't allow myself to feel it, because I couldn't. I couldn't forget what I was supposed to be doing.

"You make me happy..."

The tears almost resurfaced, but I fought them back, for him. He asked me to do this because he trusted me. I couldn't let him down.

I swallowed.

"When skies are gray..."

He closed his eyes. He was at peace. I held him close to me, my hand resting on the back of his head. I ran my fingers through his silky, sweaty, long hair.

"You'll never know, dear..."

I sniffled as my other hand touched the cold metal, pulling it from my pocket with shaking hands. My hand gripping it tightly as he drew in a raspy breath.

"How much... I love.... you."

Silence as he breathed shakily, raspily, unsteadily. I raised my arm above his head, shaking violently.

Thump... Thump... Thump...

I brought the knife down quickly, the blade piercing his skull instantly, easily, showing just how fragile he was, despite being so strong. The tears escaped my eyes, falling down my face rapidly as he went limp in my arms.

"Please don't take..."

Desperately, I tried to wake him up. What had I done? So much blood oozing from his brain, but I could fix it. I had to.

".... My sunshine...."

I pulled his shirt up, confirming again, that he was a goner anyway. Once I reminded myself of this, I began to realize that I had nothing left without him. I had loved him for so long, what else was there? Who else was there?

My breathing heavy and wild, I instinctively, almost without thinking,  gripped the knife tightly and-.......

"..... away."