Goodbye - c.g. (sad)

I needed to write this for therapeutic purposes. Just a heads up, you're probably going to cry.

I ran. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me. I ran faster than I ever had before, and probably faster than I ever would. My breathing was wild. My lungs were on the verge of exploding, but I didn't care.

Coming up on a walker as I ran through the field, I grabbed my knife, screaming as loud as my lungs would allow as I lunged at it, immediately slicing the skull almost in half. I kept running. I didn't stop. I couldn't stop.

The tears just kept coming, streaming past my cheeks and down my neck. I didn't wipe any of them away. I gave into the tears, for the first time in my life. I had always made it a point not to cry, but this... I wasn't prepared for this.

"THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!!" I screamed, slowing and stumbling over my feet. I was almost to the closest sewer entrance, but my legs were giving out.

I allowed the sobs to fully take over my body as I bent over to catch my breath. But I never breathed. I only cried.

Then, as quickly as I broke down, I pulled myself back together, snapping my head up.

I will not stop here. He needs me.

I stood up straight, proceeding to run. I pushed myself as hard as I could push. Before I knew it, I was in the sewer, and I was running through the tunnels... The feeling of dread bubbled in my stomach like thick, black tar.

I remembered the short life we had together as I ran... Though short, my years with him were the best in my life.

"Hi, I'm Carl..." the little boy whispered shyly. I blushed. I wasn't used to being around boys my age since the apocalypse started.

"I-I'm y/n..."

I screamed again.

I looked up, realizing that I'd already run almost all the way. I was so close, so close and my legs were throbbing. They felt like they would break under me any second, but I had to keep going.

I neared the tunnel with light streaming out of it and let out a cry. I had made it, I was here, I wasn't too late. I was gonna get to do it.

I was gonna say goodbye.

I turned the corner, trampling right over all the people's legs as they sat on the ground. I didn't pay attention to them, I only paid attention to where I was going.

I began to stumble... I was slowing down, I was panting heavily. I couldn't control my breathing or even my legs anymore. They just kept going on their own, but they were beginning to wobble and buckle beneath me.

And then, I saw him. I let out another cry, somehow suddenly finding the strength to sprint to his side in a matter of milliseconds. Before I could say anything, I began sobbing again, collapsing onto him and sobbing loudly into his chest. He immediately tensed up, taking a minute to wrap his arms around me and comfort me.

I could already tell he was weak. The fever was hitting him. I shook my head into his chest, refusing to accept that this had happened. How? Why? It wasn't possible. It didn't make sense..

I pulled away cupping his face in my hands.
"Look at me," I whispered. He opened his eye, gazing up at me weakly, and the tears flooded my eyes again. I covered my mouth, unable to stop the crying. He looked so sick... So withered.

On the verge of death.

He shook his head.

"It's okay, y/n," he whispered. I shook my head, my tears multiplying rapidly. "It's okay, it's gonna be okay." I continued to shake my head.