My phone, which is visible in its place on my lap, lights up. We both glance down and see that it's Dominic. I roll my eyes and scoff, which earns a curious look from Eli. "You can answer it, you know? It could be an emergency."

"I don't really want to talk to him." I finally manage to move my seat back and it jerks back quickly.

"What happened?" He licks his ice cream and waits for me to talk.

"His...our friends are annoying." Will that suffice?

"Because..." he prompts. I look at him and sigh, knowing that the reasoning will just make things awkward.

"Because they assume that we sleep together but we don't. And they know that but they always make jokes and it's annoying." He gives me a slow nod.

"And he doesn't deny it?" Elias raises a brow.

"No he does, just not good enough. I deny it, too, but they're so incessant that it just gets exhausting after the first two arguments. He should be the one telling them, though. They are mostly his friends after all," I reply exasperatedly. "And this probably isn't helping you to not hate him."

"No I'm remaining unbiased until I meet him," he assures me.

"When do you want to meet him?" I wonder casually, trying not to put too much pressure on him. 

"Maybe Monday for lunch..." he suggests nervously. I eye him curiously, wondering if this is his first time really interacting with a girl. Then, we'd be in the same boat. Maybe then I could take the lead because he seems a lot shyer than me. "I'm not a punk I swear, I just need a day to prepare."

I smile at him. "He's not scary, I promise. And if he does say something dumb, then I'll get him under control."

"You guys are really close right?" Obviously, Eli.

"Yeah..." I decide not to be rude. "But we're not a thing, I promise. In fact, he's been encouraging me to see you and hang out with you."

"Really?" He seems genuinely surprised so I nod confidently.

"He thinks my dating life has been nonexistent the last couple years," I reply honestly.

"Really? You've had trouble dating?" I wonder what that means.

"Yeah," I confess. "I'm going to assume you didn't."

"I was in a serious relationship for most of high school. We broke up this summer because she didn't want to do long distance but I think she was always in love with someone else," he confesses and I'm immediately thrown off. So he's not new to this? He's just awkward and shy regularly?

"I'm sorry about that." That must've been heartbreaking.

"Yeah, it's okay. It wasn't healthy," he tells me with a shrug. At least he seems over it. "I've had trouble jumping back into things though. I'm more of a relationship guy and I don't really like casual hookups, which is what everyone is doing nowadays."

"I know, right!!" He nods in agreement.

"You'd be surprised by how many girls will hesitate to talk to you if you haven't gotten around a bit," he explains. "Because my relationship was serious, everyone assumes I still love her."

"How long was the relationship?"

"3 years." I let out a slow exhale and he nods. "She was my person, you know? The one you go to when you had a bad day or you just want to talk. She started out as my best friend and I guess I just fell in love with her." I nod at him, unsure of what to say. If I agree, he might bring up Dominic. He quickly shakes his head. "Why are we talking about exes and failed relationships? Tell me about you."