Vera's heart seemed to stop. Nyx had sounded upset, pleading. But more than the genuineness of the woman's tone, or the confusion in her eyes, something about the explanation struck Vera to the core. Both of them were left in the dark by their families, left to figure out the truth.

"Okay," she finally spoke. "I'll take what you said at face value and assume that your father sent you here, coincidentally on the same day I came. But in exchange you have to give me your key."

Nyx's eyes narrowed before shaking her head. "You know I can't do that," she said.

"Why not?"

"For the same reason you can't just hand your notebook to me."

Vera understood it perfectly. They wanted to trust each other but couldn't. They didn't want to hate each other but couldn't totally too. And if they ever walk out, none of them would find out the truth— she wanted to scream.

"I may have a solution though," Nyx said, blue eyes meeting Vera's.

"And that is?"

"We should work together. Think about it. There's a key to the notebook. That means no Ashborne or Price are meant to do this alone."

"That, or your family stole the key from us."

"You could have also stolen the notebook from us."

Touche, Vera thought. But could the Ashborne's, her family, really do such a thing? Also, their lawyer said the notebook belonged to her mother. That means it was in their possession long enough to be passed down.

"Come on," Nyx urged. "What do you say? We don't have that much lead, and opening that notebook will be a huge step."

"Who said I don't have a lead?"

Nyx smirked. "We met in the bus station, remember? You were so lost. You looked as clueless as I was with everything."

"Hmm."

"Is that a yes?"

Vera blinked at a hopeful looking Nyx. What the American, or wherever the woman originated from said, was correct. Working together was going to make things easier, so what should she do?

"No," Vera said. "My answer is no."

Nyx had been following her for the past fifteen minutes. The woman's footsteps were silent, and she never made a sound, yet to Vera, Nyx might as well walk in front or beside her, what with every blow of the wind bringing the scent of almonds she'd noticed in the bus. As if that wasn't enough, the looming castle seemed to make Vera's leather notebook heavier on her hand.

Maybe I should work with her, she thought. Maybe this was all a misunderstanding. The rational side of her brain was telling her to give in. Egging her to work with the Price.

Every single one of them is our enemy, her mother's voice would then remind her. It doesn't matter what the first name is. They're all the same.

God. This was one of the reasons why Vera found it hard to make friends. There was the constant debate of trusting someone, letting anyone in regardless of the surname. Aside from that, she had become afraid of receiving questions. Questions she couldn't seem to answer, even when it was about herself.

You're not American, are you, Vera? Where did your family come from then? Followed by; Why did you leave Luca if you had a castle there? What should we address you?