Chapter II

Chapter II

"You are currently in Medical Ward 6 of the Supremacy." Hux continued, pacing back and forth. "We are expecting by tomorrow your internal injuries will be cleared, and you will be able to walk with the assistance of a crutch for the remainder of the week." He stopped in his tracks as he finished, facing me. Noticing my blank expression, he asked if I was all right.

I scrambled through my thoughts to mumble an affirmative. The First Order. The title had struck a cord of fear, agitation in me, without a reason why. It was as if my hands were reaching out to seize the words, but they were just far enough that only my fingertips could graze them.

"God, uh, this is embarrassing for me," I began. Hux had made such a dramatic introduction, as if I should have already known whom he was.

I didn't.

"Would you be so kind as to, um, remind me what The First Order...does." Grimacing more from the awkwardness than the pain, I drew my eyes to the ceiling. Hoping to forget this encounter as soon as it's over.

Hux didn't seem to mind. In fact, he grinned and placed his hands on his sides. He spoke as if The First Order was his only pride and joy.

"In the words of our Commander, it is the undertaking of The First Order to remove disorder from our existence to promote the stability and progression of civilization. For reasons unbeknownst to us, the Resistance has made it their mission to deter and destroy any efforts we make to attain this goal. We have been in battle with the Resistance for nearly a year. Fortunately, we lay one step ahead." Hux crossed his arms. Satisfied. "And no need to feel embarrassed," he added, "your thinking isn't as sharp as it normally would be. As I said, those issues should resolve themselves by morning."

Hux opened the door with a push of a button. The nurse hurried back in, a small cut on her cheek. She saluted him, visibly shaking.

"General, did you feel that? Is there a problem with the ship? A shelf in the infirmary lobby crashed from the turbulence. All our files are in disarray, glass specimen tubes crashed everywhere..." She touched her cheek, frowning at the blood that came off on her fingers. "Oh, no."

"No need to worry, Jaina, the Supremacy is in stable condition. I'll be making my leave now for the night. If you need me, I will be in main hangar with the Commander to finalize a course of action for this week." Hux sighed, seemingly agitated at his evening plans. "Take good care of Orrin. She has quite a day planned for tomorrow." He nodded at me, an expression of quiet contentment spreading across his face. As Hux went to exit, he stopped in the doorway to address us a final time.

"And Jaina, that was not turbulence."

General Hux closed the door, and Jaina prepared me for my first night aboard the Supremacy.

I wondered if it would be my last.

---

The heat radiating off the red beam was strong enough to burn my skin without touching. Tiny waves of electricity leaped up, down, and around it, hovering slightly, like solar flares. Sweat trickled down my back.

"Take it." A robotic voice ordered.

Before I had time to react, the lightsaber was shoved into my hands. The two protruding beams at the helm nearly sliced through my sleeve. The blade illuminated the masked figure in front of me. The weapon felt awfully unfamiliar in my grip.