I smiled to myself.

"Err, anything we can bring?," he asked sheepishly.

By Sunday morning, the fridge was packed with food and the oven was heating up lasagna and pizza. I was sitting on the kitchen stool waiting for Pops and Rose with TomTom fixing the smoke alarm in the hallway. Pops had promised to bring over his potato salad and Rose was bringing blueberry cheesecake from her sister's café.

Now, I hated cheesecakes but I'd heard that it's Nessie's favourite so we had to have it on the table. TomTom had been a dog sitter for Mrs Jenkins, earning a few quid this week. He insisted on spending it on food for today but I had persuaded him to save it.

Placing my phone on the speaker dock, I'd chosen a song to blast through the house. Our family favourite.

TomTom and I turned to look at each other at the same time.

A slow and sly smile spread across my face. "I live and die for Hip Hop. This is Hip Hop for today. I give props to hip-hop so-" I sang loudly and off-key. "-Hip Hop hooray, hey, ho" he joined in.

"You heard a lot about a brother gaining mo' ground
Being low down I do the showdown with any little ho round, no!
I wanna know who you're believing, through your funny reasons
Even when I'm sleeping you think I'm cheatin'" we sang in unison. TomTom was bobbing his head as he stood on a chair meddling with the smoke alarm. I was dancing with the broom in hand. Whenever the chorus came up, we dramatically sang with passion, yelling "Hip Hop hooray!"

Song after song, we continued to sing. We went from era to era.

The door slammed open when the beat of a new song had started. Rose walked in and dropped her bag on the floor. As the beat grew louder and stronger, TomTom jumped off the chair and I put my broom against the wall.

"Maybe I'm just crazy
Maybe I'm a fool
Maybe I don't know how to love but
Maybe I do
Maybe you know more than me but
This much is true
This little heart and brain of mine say
We're through with you"

The three of us started singing. I placed my hand against my chest as I yelled the lyrics out
while the other two had started dancing around me. Our outstanding performance was ruined a little when we started giggling.

"Okay you're pretty. Your face is a work of art," I sang and pointed at Rose.

"Your smile could light up New York City after dark. Okay you're Coverboy pretty stamped with a beauty mark," she continued pointing at the beauty mark on my face. I laughed at her.

"But it's such a pity a boy so pretty, with an-" TomTom's ending had been interrupted when his eyes fleeted to the three standing at the open door.

I laughed nervously. "Xavier, Cherie!" I greeted.

Cherie had a big smile etched on her face and Xavier seemed to be trying hard to suppress his. In between them was a young girl who shared her mother's soft features.

Calista.

I ushered them in and turned the music off. I gave a small smile to the girl and offered my hand to her. She shook it firmly.

"Hey Calista. I'm Jaida, this is TomTom and Rose. Rose, Tom Tom this is Cherie and Calista," I introduced everyone.

Xavier cleared his throat, his face mockingly offended. "And I'am?" he asked.

"Right, this is Xavier," I added rolling my eyes.

"So this is the new friend you've made? Pops and Rose have told me all about you. Nice to meet you," Tom Tom said shaking his hand. I shot him a glare and nudged his side hard, he let out a dramatic, strangled yelp.