Chapter 19~Finnick

Start from the beginning

"Yes it is," I say to the small crowd of Capitol citizens. "Would you like to speak to her?"

They nod and I graciously offer to bring her over. I weave in and out through the crowd until I stop next to Annie. She doesn't even see me there. I place my hand gently on her arm and call her name. Annie jumps and blinks a couple times rapidly.

"Finnick?" she says in a confused tone.

"Hi, I didn't get the chance to tell you how beautiful you look. Way prettier than Gretchen. She makes Godzilla look stunning," I tell her and Annie laughs. "But I was talking with those Capitol freaks and they want to meet you."

The smile instantly melts off Annie's face and is replaced by a slightly panicked look. "Wh-why?" she stammers.

I grab Annie's hand and begin pulling her through the crowd. "Because you're beautiful," I tell her. Annie tries to walk the other way but I keep her in place. "Annie it's okay. They just want to meet you. I'll be there."

Annie looks a little less freaked out as she nods her head a little. I smile. I continue walking through the crowd that parts for the two of us. I can tell Annie is still nervous but she's not trying to walk the other way now.

"Everyone I'd like you to meet Annie Cresta," I say with a wave of my hand. I begin introducing everyone in the group which I somehow miraculously remember. I was only thinking about food when they each said their names.

"It's great to finally meet you!" one girl says. She gives Annie a hug. In terms of Capitol girls she's actually decent. She's flirty but not throwing herself on to me.

"You too," Annie says with a timid smile.

We all stand in the center of the room talking. Well mostly them talking and us listening. People ask Annie a lot of questions like what she's been doing since she won, the best thing about being a victor, blah, blah, blah.

At first Annie doesn't have any trouble answering. She just spews out lies about how everything has been perfect. The smile on her face never leaves. Eventually though I notice her taking longer and longer to answer. Annie has trouble staying in a conversation for too long and she's been talking back and forth for almost half an hour.

"Annie?" I call her name out gently when she takes almost thirty seconds to respond. People were beginning to exchange confused glances.

"Oh sorry," she says blinking rapidly. "I was just thinking. Yes I might come to the Capitol soon but I'm not sure when."

Annie looks at me, pleading for an out. I nod imperceptibly and scan the crowd. I see Mags sitting on the edge and she meets my eye. She knows me so well that she already knows what I'm asking for.

I turn back to the crowd and slap my forehead lightly. "Oh man I forgot," I say. "Annie, Mags was looking for you. She's sitting over there."

"Okay I'll head over. Excuse me," Annie says politely. "It was great meeting you."

Annie smiles at everyone and gives me a thankful look before walking away. I stay there whiling the rest of the party away. Only a couple more hours. They pass slowly but finally everyone leaves. Freaky Gretchen boards the train again with her entourage of crew and Capitol adorers.

As people pack up everything from the banquet I sneak out and hurry back home. In the distance I see Annie walking slowly. Her copper hair is moving gracefully in the breeze and she's swaying her arms back and forth.

I run and sneak up on Annie. I grab hold of her hand and plant a quick kiss on her cheek. Annie jumps in surprise but laughs when she sees me.

"You scared me!" she exclaims.