VII. DEAD HOOKER

I sat there silently. Kate stood there in front of me. She smelled like cigarettes and bodily fluids. She looked like a dead hooker that my dad brought back to life just so that he could fuck someone again. She had to be about my father's age, but she didn't look to be anywhere close to it. She looked to be about ten years older than my father.

"Greg?" my father said.

I instantly snapped out of that trance as Kate quickly took over the conversation.

"Look, Greg. I know this is a bit unexpected, but I genuinely want to make this work," she said.

As Kate extended her hand out to shake mine, I thought heavily about not extending my hand. I even thought about extending it and then pulling it away. After quickly thinking about that, I slowly extended my right hand out to her. Her hand was cold and bitter like a winter storm. I glared at her as our hands separated. Even my father, who has no skills in understanding social situations because he sits in a bread shop all day, could sense some unwanted tension in the room. My father tried to diffuse the situation.

"So! Greg! How do you—"

"Where did you meet my father?" I quickly asked Kate.

Kate stood there. She was shocked that I interrupted my father. Her eyes widened and a deer in headlights look washed over her face.

"Your father and I met through friends," she replied.

"So you're telling me that you and my father met through friends?" I asked.

"That's right!" We met over at—"

"Whoa! Let's have dinner. I don't want to hear this," I quickly interrupted.

I didn't want to hear the story about how my father brought this woman back from the dead. We sat down at the table and began to eat. My father made pasta and chicken tonight. He only ever makes classier food if we have guests. Kate was anything but classy though. She kept trying to talk to me with her mouth full of food and I could not understand a word she was saying. Also, I did not understand what my father saw in her. It baffled me.

After dinner, I went to my room and began to write. I never really wrote about my day, but I decided to take the time to do it. I was really tired so I decided to go to bed immediately after writing. I wrote:

Soooo... I guess this is what happened today. I saw someone named Luke have his ass handed to him by some guys. My father hurled a plate at me and scared me so much that I nearly pissed myself. Also, my dad brought home a "dead" hooker named Kate. She seems like a total dunce. Anyways, I'll see you all tomorrow.