"A catalyst?" Nyx stared from the paper to Vera, then folded the broadsheet. "Sounds existentialist."

"Yes, but it's pretty accurate."

"How so?"

Vera shrugged instead of answering.

With nothing else to say between them, she took her leather bag that had been sitting between her legs, placed it on her lap, and embraced it to her. Vera's chin went on top of the mound, her eyes closing momentarily. The next time she opened it, a cup of coffee was being offered next to her face.

"Here, I got you one."

Vera was so surprised that she could only sit straighter and take the cup. Her mouth was paper dry from having just awoken. Her legs were numbing, so she swung it to and fro while mumbling a thank you.

"No problem," Nyx said, drinking from her own cup of coffee. "Consider it as payment."

"Payment?"

"I had fun watching you sleep. It was better than any TV show I'd seen lately."

Vera felt the warmth rising on her neck from such bold statement, but then Nyx was quick to add, "I was kidding. Please don't mind me."

Vera hid her embarrassment by gulping down on her cup. The coffee had extra cream, just as she'd like, and was tasty enough to comfort her even when faced with such new environment.

Strange, she thought. She hadn't been here for a while, but already she was feeling light. Lighter than when she was in California in the claustrophobic private school she used to attend. Lighter even in her own home with only the maids and an occasional visit from a guardian to fill it.

"You seem pretty occupied with your thoughts," Nyx observed. "Family issues?"

"You can say that."

The two of them drank from their own cups, the fog from the coffee rising on their faces. It didn't matter if it was still hotter than what it should be on the first day of spring. Coffee was coffee, and they wouldn't stop drinking it even in an inferno.

Having gained confidence from the caffeine and the reassurance her anonymity brought, Vera turned to Nyx and asked, "How about you? What brought you here of all places? You seem a long way from home."

"I am."

"So?"

Nyx lowered her coffee. Her eyes had twinkled when she stared at Vera too. And with a voice as clear as the sky, she said, "I'm glad you asked that question. The truth is, the reason I came here was for you."

Vera blinked at the American, at the stranger she had felt oddly at ease with a few seconds ago. Could it be? She knew her parents could be protective of her. Had made plans even before what struck them. But here and now, she wasn't so sure of anything, especially when Nyx gave a small laugh and said, "You know I was joking right? What are you suddenly so serious for?"

Vera seemed to turn into a puddle on her seat. Nyx's shoulder was shaking now, the woman rearing her head back in a gesture of happiness. Vera, in the meantime, couldn't feel her limbs. Everything about her from head to foot was numbing.

"Hey?" Nyx's voice was gentler now. Inquisitive. "You okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

She really wasn't. Vera didn't like surprises or feeling like something was being kept from her, whether on purpose or not. Her parents had done it for eighteen years. She couldn't take a single minute of it.

"Are you sure?" Nyx was putting her cup of coffee on the floor now. "You look pale."

"I'm fine," Vera said again, catching the firmness in her own voice. "Just give me a minute to breathe."