Chapter 4: Oh Boy

Alex sat back on the couch as Sarah went and got some tea. Alex waited patiently. This woman was tough, but she knew if she was patient, hopefully, it would all play out in the end.

"I hope you like Earl Grey." Sarah said placing the tea on the table.

"Thank you very much." Alex replied.

"How old are you anyway?" Sarah asked.

Alex chuckled. "Is it that obvious? I'm twenty, almost twenty-one in a month."

"That's very young to be lawyer."

"I'm a lawyer consultant, they ask for my help every ounce in a while." Alex replied.

"Oh so they needed help with me?" Sarah said angrily.

"Well you haven't exactly been very easy." Alex said with a smile. "But I see we're you're coming from. I read the case, it seems like no one's really on your side." She said sipping her tea.

Sarah stared at Alex for a moment before continuing. "You are very different."

"Yes mam I am, I've been told that since I was born." She said with a smile.

Mrs. Thacker laughed. "Well....I didn't mean that to be a bad thing."

Alex smiled back. They spent the rest of the time together just enjoying each other's company. Talking about the little things. About the house, tea Sarah's favorite restaurants and so on. Sarah how she once stood in line for 30 minutes for a tale and how appalled she was. Alex kept quiet on how ridiculous this was.

A loud Eye of the Tiger ringtone interrupted Sarah.

"Oh, sorry." Alex said franticly going to her phone. It was Mike.

Alex looked up at Sarah. "Uhhh."

"You need to take that huh?"

Alex was about to reply but was interrupted. "You're just like the others. You care too much about your job that you don't even silence your phone. Stupid millennial. Go." She said crossing her arms.

"Sarah..."

"GO!"

A butler appeared and led Alex outside. It was dark and sprinkling rain. Alex quickly glanced at her watch. How on earth was it 8:00 pm! She had been there for hours. Her phone went off again.

"Hello."

"Alex you good. It's late and Harvey's been asking where you are."

"I'm sorry Mr. Ross I.."

"Woah....it's Mike....Never call me Mr. Ross again. That makes me sound like a ninety year-old man."

"Sorry, Mike. I'm just now leaving Sarah...Uh Mrs. Thacker's house."

"You're just know leaving? You've been there a long time. How did it go."

"It..well..." Suddenly a little sprinkle turned into pouring rain. "Oh Shoot!"

Alex began running and searching for cover.

"Alex you good?" Mike asked in a worried tone.

"Um..." She was having trouble speaking. "Yeah It's just pouring and I don't have a car. I'm just trying to look for shelter."

"Were are you at?"

Across the street Alex spotted a laundry place. She dove straight toward it. Finally, under the awning, she pulled on the door. Locked.

"Crap." She said aloud accidently.

"Alex?

"Sorry, I'm at a coin laundry place. But there closed so I'm hiding outside under the awning."

The wind blew heavier causing the rain to soak Alex.

"What's the address?"

"No it's fine I'll just wait."

"Alex....If you get sick and can't come to work you're done. I doubt you want that. Let me come get you."

"It's about a block from Mrs. Thacker's house. You can't miss it, it has a big neon sign saying coin laundry."

"Be right there."

With that he hung up. Alex sighed. What a great second day this was turning out to be. Her body shivered from the cold. She moved as close to the door as possible. Donna as never going to forgive her for this. She let herself sink to the floor. She couldn't believe she had to be "rescued" how much more of a loser could she be. She really wanted to make a good impression. This job was so important. Alex needed this.

Alex put her head in between her hands trying to warm up as much as possible. She positioned her body into the fetal position, trying to stay as bundled as possible.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Her eyes shot forward. She slowly came to her feet. A man on a bike approached her.

"Someone need rescuing?" Mike had the biggest smile on his face.

"Where's your car?" Alex asked in disbelief.

"I don't own on, but I do have a bike. Come on I don't want to get any wetter."

"You're serious...."

He only nodded.

She hopped on the back. "Oh Boy."